Menu
craigtp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent WiFi issues recently started on SuperHub 2ac

Hi,

I've been a Virgin Media broadband customer since March 2015 and have the Superhub 2ac.

On 10th Jan 2017, whilst working on my wired connected PC, I lost internet connection.  It seemed the Superhub had either crashed or rebooted itself (possible firmware upgrade?).  Since this point in time, I've had intermittent issues with both 2.4g and 5g Wifi signal. 

I have a PC, a laptop and a Synology NAS in an upstairs office where the Superhub is located also.  All three of these devices connect to the hub via wired ethernet and I've not noticed any issues with these devices, however, I also have two Samsung smart TV's in the house - one upstairs in a different room and a main TV in a living room downstairs which both connect to the Superhub wirelessly to either use catch-up apps on the TV (ie. BBC iPlayer etc.) or to stream media files from the NAS.  The Superhub is running in router mode with both WiFi signals (2.4g & 5g) always on together, both set to use "auto" channels.

The issues that have started recently usually have the TV able to start streaming, but will eventually pause with excessive buffering - this could occur after only a few seconds or may not happen for 30 minutes - and which may or may not restart without being forcefully restarted (most often occuring on the 2.4g connection), or will completely lose connection (the TV reports that "device was disconnected" - referring to the NAS) after approx. 10-20 minutes (most frequently occuring on the 5g connection).  At this point, the only recourse is to stop the streaming and restart it as it seems that the NAS is still able to "seen" by the TV.   Note that the internet appears to be working throughout this and the problem seems to only affect the local network WiFi (i.e. streaming from the NAS without even using the internet still exhibits the problem).

Note that I've had this setup since the VM box was installed in March 2015 and it has worked almost flawlessly since that time, up until last week, 10th January 2017.   There have been no other changes within the household that could have affected this, no further devices added or other connection interfering devices introduced.  Further, I've tried multiple power cycles of the router and also tried a full hard reset (factory reset) - none of which has fixed the issues.

I notice that there's talk of a recent firmware upgrade. Is it possible that this has introduced WiFi issues/bugs?

Can anyone help in diagnosing & fixing the WiFi problem as it's extremely frustrating to have streaming content constantly freeze up whilst watching.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
craigtp
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent WiFi issues recently started on SuperHub 2ac

As a follow up to the above post, I spoke with Virgin Support on the evening of 16th Jan 2017 and, whilst there was no admission of anything being specifically wrong, I was told that they were "sending some signals" to by Superhub and that I should monitor the situation for a further 48 hours.

I've since re-tried streaming on the TV over WiFi, only to have the wireless connection exhibit the exact same problems.

I'll be speaking to support again this evening when the 48 hour monitoring period is up, but I thought I'd post my various stats from my Router Status page in mean time in case anyone knows if these readings are within acceptable ranges or indicate any errors.

2017-01-18 10_47_10-Super Hub _ GUI.png2017-01-18 10_47_34-Super Hub _ GUI.png2017-01-18 10_48_50-Super Hub _ GUI.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello craigtp,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to read about the connection problems you're currently experiencing. I've tried to look into this for you, but I'm unable to find your account info.

I'll just confirm your details via PM (purple envelope, top right) and I'll investigate right away.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
craigtp
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I had my firmware downgraded from v2.x to v1.x by Virgin on 26th Feb 2017 and since that date all of my WiFi issues seem to have gone away. I've given it until now, over a week later, so that I could test the wireless connection, but I've been able to perform large software updates on both of my TV's over wifi and watched many hours of streaming, catch-up TV as well as locally streamed content from my NAS, all without a single moment of buffering, frozen picture or disconnects since the downgrade happened.

Therefore, I feel very confident in saying that the v2.x firmware definitely WAS the problem, and that reverting back to v1.x firmware (and nothing else changing in-between) has fixed all my issues.

0 Kudos