Menu
RobMcEntee
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Wi Fi - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Hi all,

I find that my wireless signal drops out between five and ten times a day. If I'm using an Ethernet cable there's no issue, but wi-fi just isn't stable. I get 'connected - no internet' or simply 'no available networks' messages. 

I've just discovered I can access my network log online and it states I'm experiencing No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out errors. In fact it states:

15/10/201618:07:37 GMT82000200No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

This is listed around 40 times (all with the same time and date, as if loads happening at once).

My network status is reported as:

Downstream AcquisitionLocked
Primary Frequency203000000 Hz
DHCPDone
TFTPDone
Time Of Day19:22:43 BST
SecurityBPI+
Counters T1,T2,T3,T4,Sync,Resets000,000,15758,000,000,000

As I have little idea what a lot of the above means, I could do with one of the following:

(1) someone to explain this to me like I am five, so I can fix it

(2) a Virgin engineer to fix it

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Wi Fi - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

If Ethernet connections are stable when wireless connections drop then that suggests a wireless issue rather than a line issue.  If there is a line fault and the hub loses connection to the VM network then you would notice it on the Ethernet connection as well.  You could try using different wireless channels, VM have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of this board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

With regard to the T3 errors. There is a known bug in some of the VM hubs where it can fill the log with the same error over and over with the same time and date, even though the error didn't actually occur multiple times.  Genuine errors in the log will all have different timestamps. If you are regularly getting T3 timeouts it would impact both Ethernet and wireless connections, so this looks like a red herring to me.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you do a WiFi spectrum analysis? Maybe you are experiencing interference with another close-by wifi access point? Recommend InSSIDer -  follow link:

http://www.metageek.com/support/downloads/

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi RobMcEntee, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your WiFi connection being intermittent and cutting out, I know first hand that these types of problems can cause some annoyance so apologies for any inconvenience.

I have tested things from here and everything looks great! No errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges. 

Are you still having these issues? If so, how are you connected, wired or wireless?

Also, what does the Hubs light sequence indicate when the connection drops?

Have you tried changing the wireless channels to see if this helps improve stability?

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RobMcEntee
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your support. Unfortunately I am still experiencing difficulties. The problem only occurs when not using an ethernet cable.

I have been in and changed the channel - I've tried a few different channels, but with each five minutes into browsing the familiar dropouts happen. Some channels made the problem more frequent. I've currently returned the channel to 'auto' which was its setting before I changed anything. 

My error seems to coincide with Google Chrome crashing and it's hard to discern which one causes the other. Whilst this may point to the problem lying with the browser, I found an identical-sounding issue in a forum and the following was posted...

"This isn't a problem with Chrome, it's a bug in your router [...] You might try poking around in the router's settings (which are usually accessed by a web browser) and see if you can disable "DoS protection""
Found here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/9oZCEKLuCts 

I can't see any such option in my Super Hub GUI.

I appreciate any light you could shed!

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
RobMcEntee
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

[UPDATE] Re: Intermittent Wi Fi - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Hi again,

Having browsed a little more, I found that disabling the firewall through the GUI seems (for the moment) to have resolved the issue. Unless the issue returns or there are particularly significant dangers in taking this step, then I'm happy.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: [UPDATE] Re: Intermittent Wi Fi - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Hi RobMcEntee, 

Thanks for getting in touch and keeping us updated on your issues with your intermittent WiFi.

I appreciate you letting us know that you managed to resolve this by disabling the firewall through the GUI. This is great! Just remember that if you require any assistance in future with regards to this or any other issues, then post back here on the forums and we'll gladly look into this for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos