Menu
ChelseaMad
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Broadband in TS17?

Hi

I have just been boosted to the 200mb/s speed but my broadband is still dropping out intermittently on WIFI. I also have problems when streaming things to the TV (which even happens when I use Netflix via the Virgin Super Hub). Is anyone else in the Ingleby Barwick area experiencing the same.

I have waited over a year patiently for the boost but right now do not feel that I am getting much difference. VM have worked with me on this and previously acknowledged that the service has been oversubscribed but the recent boost should have alleviated these issues (at least that's what I was told) and my broadband and TV service should once again be glitch free. Sadly it's not much different.

How can I check the status of my Hub (router) and any thoughts why this keeps happening. Would changing channel on the router help and how do I do this? At the moment I cannot use 5g on my laptop as it's not capable of using this (it's also a work PC so I cannot change it at present).

I don't want to have to go back to BT as they put you in a fresh contract for 18 months everytime you make a change (had nothing but issues with them in the past) but have never tried Sky for Broadband.

Any advice would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Broadband in TS17?

Hi ChelseaMad, 

Thanks for posting to let us know that your broadband seems to be cutting out intermittently when streaming things to the TV. I can appreciate some frustration maybe caused by this so apologies for any bother.

I have tested things from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred range.

Are you still having these issues? If so, please respond to me here with a recent copy of your Hubs logs. You can find these by opening your internet browser and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in, top right hand corner will say 'Router Status' click there and all the information needed is inside.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ChelseaMad
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Adam

I have been away lately but will do this the next time I have an outage. We had been promised the upgrade around these parts for over a year and I had had engineers visit and was previously in touch with your technical team regarding the WIFI "dropout". Steve in Teesside has been a credit to Virgin.

At the time I know there were over subscription issues and this was being managed. However, I did expect vast differences after changeover and I have not really seen this of yet.

I will now be mindful of what you have said here and let you know if it still carries on doing this. I only got back from Scotland today and in fairness I do not now know if it has settled down.

That said, I do know that we are still having problems with Netflix via the TV. This is when we are using it via the Virgin TV channel for Netflix too so it's very disappointing. It's been like that since we first subscribed to Netflix. What happens is that you will be watching a film and it either freezes, cut's out all together and you have to reload or you find that it cuts out and just will not reload in some cases. We have spoken to Netflix and they say that the problem lies with Virgin. As we had "dropout" issues I had accepted this. The problem here is that we really have no idea in reality, which company this problem truly lies with.

I will be in touch again soon

Kind regards

Steve

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Steve,

Hope you're well Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop in and see how you're getting on since your last post. Can I help with anything else at the moment?

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ChelseaMad
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather J

Thanks for coming back. I had forgotten about this. Here are copies of what might be helpful;-

Device Connection Status

Activity Summary

See how much data you have uploaded and downloaded since your Super Hub was last power cycled (that's switched on or rebooted). This information will be automatically reset when you next power cycle your Super Hub, or you can reset it manually.

Session Time   7day 03h:38m:42s
Session Data Downloaded   6,627 MB
Session Data Uploaded   413 MB

Devices Connected

See which wired and wireless devices are connected to your Super Hub and how long they've been connected.

Wired Devices MAC Address IP Address Device Name Time Connected
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.10 0days 00hrs 25mins 06s
Wireless Devices MAC Address IP Address Device Name Time Connected
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.14ET002000524F192days 20hrs 03mins 32s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.11android-e2ec6404feb992160days 00hrs 00mins 35s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.6Stevens-iPhone0days 02hrs 05mins 08s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.9Steve0days 01hrs 08mins 09s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.7Steve-s-iPad0days 00hrs 01mins 09s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.19carol-EQUIUM-A1100days 00hrs 22mins 18s
WAN IP Address
WAN IP Address   80.2.73.8

Modem Mode

When active, Modem Mode disables the wireless and routing functions of your Super Hub so you can use your own wireless router. For more information please visit http://www.virginmedia.com/help.

Active Ports & Connections

When in Modem Mode, only one Ethernet port will be active on your Super Hub, so when using your own router make sure it's connected to the active port as shown in the image to the left. Alternatively, connect a computer or games console directly to this port. When you are in Modem Mode, to access the Main Menu type 192.168.100.1 into your internet browser.

Disable Modem Mode

You can disable Modem Mode from the Main Menu which is accessed by typing 192.168.100.1 in your internet browser.

Alternatively you can restore your Super Hub back to its original settings by using the reset button on the back of your Super Hub.

Super Hub Version
Software Version    "V1.01.11"
Hardware Version    1.03
0 Kudos
ChelseaMad
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather J/ Adam

Here is more on my settings (I have deleted my password for obvious reasons). My WIFI is still dropping out intermittently and its still very frustrating when it does, Any suggestions would be welcome and received with thanks.

Do I need to change to another channel and do I just change this on the router if I do? I look forward to hearing from you. ;-

Security Settings
Easily change your wireless network security settings using the settings below.
 2.4GHz Wireless Security5GHz Wireless Security 

Security Mode  WPA AutoWPA2-PSK[AES]WPA-PSK[TKIP]WPA/WPA2 EnterpriseDisableWPA2-PSK[AES]WPA AutoWPA2-PSK[AES]WPA-PSK[TKIP]WPA/WPA2 EnterpriseDisableWPA2-PSK[AES]'WPA2-PSK[AES]' is recommended to provide the highest wireless network security and performance. For...
SSID    Enter a name (SSID) for your wireless network. The same SSID must be used by all wireless devices co...

Up to 32 characters (case sensitive)

Up to 32 characters (case sensitive)

Passphrase  
or Security Key  

Between 8 and 63 characters (case sensitive)

Between 8 and 63 characters (case sensitive)

Enter a Passphrase for your wireless network. The same Passphrase must be used by all wireless devic...
Channel  Auto123456789101112139Auto CompatibilityAuto Performance36+4040+3644+4848+4452+5656+5260+6464+60100+104104+100108+112112+108116+120120+116124+128128+124132+136136+132Auto CompatibilityAn 'Auto' selection is recommended so that when power cycled (that's switched on or rebooted), your ...
Operating Channel  936+40 

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)

Your Super Hub is currently set to use the following default WPS PIN:

WPS PIN  40225852

WPS Status   Ok

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Morning Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to post back here and apologies for the late response.

In regards to the wireless connection, have you tried to change the wireless channel to see if that improves the connection?

Does the wireless drop connection on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network?

Do you know if the wired connection works ok?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ChelseaMad
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

Thanks for getting back to me. I am not really sure how to change the channels - can you send some instructions please? The wired system does work but weirdly our Netflix even buffers for long periods too as well as the system does not really like me streaming videos either. I cannot connect to 5gHz with my laptop as it does not accept it. I am awaiting an upgrade from work but it won't come until next year.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Steve

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Morning Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me.

In regards to changing the wireless channels, if you look at my post above the red underline word of 'wireless channel' is a link which you can click on and is a guide on how to do this. If you are unable to open this, let me know.

With Netflix is this through the website itself or on the app through the TiVo®?

Also when streaming videos is that on YouTube or other websites?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ChelseaMad
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

I'll look at the channel swapping.

Ref Netflix and streaming - Netflix is via the TIVO box and the streaming is via an IPTV box (Spiderbox) that is wired from the router. I have spoken to Netflix and they state that the fault lies with Virgin! As I am also having problems with the "Spiderbox" in the same manner as far as buffering is concerned, I am inclined to agree with them.

We were hoping that the speed increase would rectify this as it also should alleviate the busy periods with more channels to the exchange - according to your customer services. So far, I am not seeing this.

Kind regards

Steve

0 Kudos