Menu
frazzle121180
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Intermittant WiFi & Connection Troubles

Morning all,

I need some help/guidance on some issues I am having

Firstly let me explain my setup to you so that you understand how it's all setup and working for me.

50mb Virgin Fibre on SuperHub 2 Router (this is my 2nd one if memory serves me right)

The WiFi services an Apple Iphone 6(2.4ghz), OnePlus 3 (2.4ghz & 5ghz), An iPad Mini (2.4ghz), a Samsung Tab S (2.4ghz), 3no. Amazon Firesticks (2.4ghz), my Smart TV (5ghz), PS4 (2.4ghz), and my Elitebook Laptop (2.4 & 5ghz) upstairs in the home office.

Into the LAN ports of the Superhub I have the following - NowTV Box

Here's the first issue I am getting, WiFi is very much hit and miss all over the house, if any devices are connected to the 2.4 channel they will stop working (they don't lose connection to the 2.4ghz channel, just no internet access) and I have to turn off their WiFi and start it up again to get an internet connection back up and running again.

If the device is capable of connecting to the 5ghz channel, such as my laptop, I lose internet connection, disconnect from 2.4 channel, connect to 5 channel and it works again for a few days, maybe even a week.

Then suddenly the 5ghz channel will stop getting a connection to the internet and I have to move the hardware back to the 2.4ghz channel again.

It's very annoying when it happens (which has no pattern, just seems to be when it feels like it, but happens at least 2-3 times a week, mainly I've noticed at night, around 6-10pm).

I know what you are thinking, something is interfering with the WiFi signal, but this happens even when in the same room next to the router.

It's also happening across different devices, I used to think it was a problem with my Samsung S6 Edge Plus mobile phone, but that's gone and replaced with a Oneplus 3 which is doing the same thing, my Samsung Tablet was a xmas present and it's doing the same thing now as well.

I used to have a signal booster plugged in upstairs to improve the WiFi signal and it was suggested it could be the issue, so I completely removed it months ago in the hope it would help, alas it hasn't, the issue still exists.

I also used to make use of powerline adapters plugged into the router, again I have removed them a few weeks ago and the problem still exists.

I'm kinda at my wits end with it now and I am out of ideas as to what could be the issue.

My 2nd issue revolves round my Now TV box, I use it for IPTV services and it's terrible, the channels when they work are great, but more often than not they constantly buffer or cut off all the time.

Do Virgin have blocking setup for IPTV services or something?, I know it's been suggested the Child safe feature and VM firewall feature can impact IPTV services so I have disabled them both, but it hasn't helped.

I've checked with other people in the street who use NOWTV and theirs appears to be working fine, even over WiFi (Mines wired direct to the SuperHub2).

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated as I'm about pulling my hair out now with this.

I've uploaded some pics of power levels, up and down stream, logs and speed test results, as you can see the speed is not an issue, it appears to be fine.

Thanks

DownstreamDownstreamUpstreamUpstreamSuperhub 2 traceroute to BBCSuperhub 2 traceroute to BBCThink Broadband TracerouteThink Broadband TracerouteThinkBroadband SpeedtestThinkBroadband Speedtest

0 Kudos
frazzle121180
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittant WiFi & Connection Troubles

Oh I should also mention that there have been a few instances where once the connection to the internet is lost on either 2.4 or 5ghz channels I couldn't get devices to reconnect so I had to fully reboot the Superhub2
Cheers
0 Kudos
frazzle121180
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'll add another development to the list that's been happening the last few days

Devices lose connection to the Internet as per previous descriptions on original post, but I've noticed on 2 devices (my laptop and Samsung Tablet) that despite it saying you have a strong WiFi connection, but no internet access, if you keep hitting refresh on the webpage it will eventually kick back in again and work as normal???

It's all very strange and very annoying now as well as it happens more and more

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Analysing this at a distance, there are a number of possibilities:

1/

You've ruled this one out - there is channel interference. As this rarely occurs on the 5GHz range (though it is a possibility), we can accept your view.

2/

Wireless propagation throughout a house (the composition of which in your case we don't know) is a total hit/miss affair depending on router location, composition of walls, what else is in the way (dressing tables), distance.

3/

The SH2 could now be failing in its wireless behaviour.  The SH2 does have a known issue on some devices (nobody has bottomed out why only somne devices).  This usually shows as a dropping Internet and then rejecting your credientials.  You haven't reported this.

4/

Your internet circuit is failing occasionally.   You've posted power levels which show no issue at that snapshot.  But we have to ask, when these problems occur, just before you reboot the SH2, what do the SH2 lights show?

The VM bods when they get to this thread in a week or so will take all the above into account.  If your node/segment shows no issues that would cause the wireless to drop and there is no line congestion cause (I can't see that dropping wireless), then they are likely to offer to send you a new hub - a Hub 3 (which I've had for a year or so).

You mentioned that you dropped your Powerlines out of the equation some time ago.  It is highly possible that a replacement Hub won't deliver round your house any better than before. WiFi enabled Powerlines are the answer here and perhaps you'll keep us fully posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
frazzle121180
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can tell, the SH2 lights appear normal, both WiFi lights are blue and flashing, and the connection light back to VM to show it's online and getting a connection is blue, so all seems OK on that front.

I've also in the past used Power lines with a WiFi Access point included and found them nothing but a hassle, they were dropping the Wireless signal every couple of days and had to be rebooted.

In fact, thinking over it now, maybe that wasn't the fault of the Powerline AP as I first suspected, it's likely been a result of the issues I'm still experiencing with the SH2 just now

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

Analysing this at a distance, there are a number of possibilities:

1/

You've ruled this one out - there is channel interference. As this rarely occurs on the 5GHz range (though it is a possibility), we can accept your view.

2/

Wireless propagation throughout a house (the composition of which in your case we don't know) is a total hit/miss affair depending on router location, composition of walls, what else is in the way (dressing tables), distance.

3/

The SH2 could now be failing in its wireless behaviour.  The SH2 does have a known issue on some devices (nobody has bottomed out why only somne devices).  This usually shows as a dropping Internet and then rejecting your credientials.  You haven't reported this.

4/

Your internet circuit is failing occasionally.   You've posted power levels which show no issue at that snapshot.  But we have to ask, when these problems occur, just before you reboot the SH2, what do the SH2 lights show?

The VM bods when they get to this thread in a week or so will take all the above into account.  If your node/segment shows no issues that would cause the wireless to drop and there is no line congestion cause (I can't see that dropping wireless), then they are likely to offer to send you a new hub - a Hub 3 (which I've had for a year or so).

You mentioned that you dropped your Powerlines out of the equation some time ago.  It is highly possible that a replacement Hub won't deliver round your house any better than before. WiFi enabled Powerlines are the answer here and perhaps you'll keep us fully posted.

So, that's 2/4 ruled out.  Could you investigate #2 please?  And what about the Powerline suggestion?

0 Kudos
frazzle121180
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

2/ Wireless propagation - The SH2 is downstairs in the living room, directly above that is our bedroom and across the landing is the room I sit in, so the SH2 is at the front of the house and I am at the rear.
To be honest though, until this issue started I've never had any problems.
I'm unwilling to go back to the Powerlines setup as I am not a huge fan of them, plus the issue still happen even if I'm sitting in the room beside the SH2.
I would have hoped it wasn't too much to ask for decent WiFi on the Virgin hardware, it's not like I am living in a mansion and I've 5 rooms away from the SH2, i'm literally upstairs and 1 room across from it.

3/ Wireless behaviour on some devices - further to my original post, its happening to all the devices in my home, not only certain ones. I have not had the credentials problem.....not yet anyway
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

frazzle121180 wrote:
2/ Wireless propagation - The SH2 is downstairs in the living room, directly above that is our bedroom and across the landing is the room I sit in, so the SH2 is at the front of the house and I am at the rear.
To be honest though, until this issue started I've never had any problems.
I'm unwilling to go back to the Powerlines setup as I am not a huge fan of them, plus the issue still happen even if I'm sitting in the room beside the SH2.
I would have hoped it wasn't too much to ask for decent WiFi on the Virgin hardware, it's not like I am living in a mansion and I've 5 rooms away from the SH2, i'm literally upstairs and 1 room across from it.

3/ Wireless behaviour on some devices - further to my original post, its happening to all the devices in my home, not only certain ones. I have not had the credentials problem.....not yet anyway

So that rules out #2; particularly because it happens when you are in the same room as the SH2.  That leaves a failing SH2.  The VM bods when they get to this thread will deal with that and the triage we've been through will hopefully make their decision quick and easy.

Keep us posted.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hiya frazzle121180,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband connection. I can imagine how annoying this must be.

I appreciate all the checks you have completed so far and the advice given by Sephiroth, thank you.

Just for my understanding, can you answer a few questions for me please?

1. Have you tried to change the wireless channel at all? If so did it help?
  2. Has a factory reset of the router been tried?
  3. Do you know if you experience disconnections through a wired connection?

If you can let me know the above when you get chance, that would be great.

Thanks

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
frazzle121180
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

I've changed the wireless channel quite a few times and it hasn't helped.

I even downloaded Fing network tools for my phone so that I could accurately see which wireless channels were less congested in my locality.

I only have the one device wired to the router and that is my sky now streaming box, it also has experienced disconnections, although not as frequently as the wireless. Never the less the problem does still appear to be there.

Over the past couple of months (I've been dealing with this for a couple of months while trying different things to try and sort before bothering you guys) I've done a factory reset twice, which seemed to help initially, but ultimately the issue keeps resurfacing again.

I hope this answers your queries.

Thanks again

Fraser.
0 Kudos