Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 37 (1,905 Views)

Intel Puma 6 Chipset issues

When is the fix for the "Intel Puma 6 chipset" going to roll out... im totaly underwhelmed with the performance of this router and as for not being able to run in modem mode its a disaster
I'm running Hardware 10 version ... with firmware version 9.1.116V... I would rather have the old modem back with a 3rd party router......
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 37 (1,885 Views)

Re: Intel Puma 6 Chipset issues

You're right about the chipset demand for information.

But you're wrong about the Hub 3 being unable to run in modem mode. Mine is in modem mode and have no problems whatsoever.

What makes you say that about modem mode?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Joining in
Message 3 of 37 (1,879 Views)

The reason is , I tried unsuccessfully but what hardware and software version are you using ?
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 37 (1,873 Views)

The HUB3 has had modem mode for a very long time 

How did you try to do it ?

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 5 of 37 (1,856 Views)

Yep, my SH3 is hooked up to my Netgear x8 since day one with no issues at all.

Intel aren't renowned for dishing out quick updates since they don't normally have such issues but hey, we can hope (or wait for the SH4) Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 37 (1,831 Views)

jmerralls wrote:
The reason is , I tried unsuccessfully but what hardware and software version are you using ?

Same as you.  what does "unsuccessful" mean?  Messages? Actions? LEDs on the Hub?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 7 of 37 (1,803 Views)

[ Edited ]

Modem mode is available but it won't fix the chipset or DOS issues.

There's a huge thread on the topic, several users have tested.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 37 (1,662 Views)

I can confirm that the SH3 does run just fine in Modem mode.

However as stated this won't resolve the issues with the Puma6 chipset. Only a firmware update will resolve that. Intel have released an update, it's now upto VM to test and release. That is what I think people would like to know. Is there a date or timescale that VM are working towards to address the issues (via a firmware update) for the Puma6 chipset? And if so what are they?

On our wavelength
Message 9 of 37 (680 Views)

I just returned from the USA where I had to deal with this EXACT Puma 6 problem with my "Spectrum" internet service over there. I simply went to my local "Best Buy" and purchased a new modem and plugged it in, problem solved in less than a day of learning about it! I noticed from the law suit referenced below that this also affects my UK Virgin Media Hub 3.0 but I can't fix the problem in UK because we are a retarded nation when it comes to the subject of consumer choice, hence to my knowledge I can't just plug in an alternate modem and have Virgin allow it on their network easily.

Complaining only to Virgin Media on this Puma 6 issue is pointless in my view. The Americans are leading the way as usual with a class action lawsuit to force the issue to be resolved and to provide some compensation for victims. If you qualify to joint that by any chance then go here to signup: https://www.classactionlawyers.com/blog/2017/4/21/netgear-and-arris-face-class-actions-for-defective...

You should note the following statement in the law suit that affects EVERONE and not just gamers. This is why I have been rebooting my modem to reset it's CPU for a long time now, in order to restore browsing performance specifically. If you are a gamer then try rebooting before every gaming session and see if that works for you, and for how long.

"Even users who do simple web browsing may be affected by the momentary high spikes in latency, causing websites to feel sluggish or not load."

We can't typically raise a class action lawsuit in the UK and must use the Ombudsmen or sue Virgin ourselves for breach of contract. At this point I'll remind Virgin of their commitment to their customers as per our contract with them, and this is taken from their own Code of Practice document:

"5. Our Obligations:

Like all UK telecommunications operators, Virgin Media has a number of obligations laid down in UK legislation. These cover a number of areas and are aimed at providing customers with both choice and consumer protection. Virgin Media takes these responsibilities very seriously, while aiming to deliver excellent service and a range of products and services to meet our customers’ communications and entertainment needs"

To fellow Virgin customers who are concerned about this issue and all other Virgin media Hub issues past and present, we all need to make complaints immediately to OFCOM as this issue and many other issues with previous hubs have been known and reported to Virgin for a very long time now and very little has really been done to address them in a prompt manner. These forums are the body of evidence for OFCOM of this chronic lack of concern and prompt action by Virgin Media.

If you want to make a difference then please complain here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain-to-ofcom specifically about Virgin's lack of customer choice on which "modems" we can use with their service, essentially Virgin Media need to be "forced to certify, or otherwise allow alternate modem choices" and  therefore expand the consumers choice and freedoms. For this current problem putting the Virgin hub into modem mode is no longer an acceptable solution as has already been said, so now is the time for a change in policy, period.

What Virgin can ACTUALLY do about this problem:

1. Allow customers to purchase and use their own modems AND reduce the monthly fee to reflect the fact that we are no longer renting the endless litany of crappy modems / routers that Virgin always seem to roll-out. This is specifically what I'm asking OFCOM to look into by asking that the regulator extending consumer choice on which modems we can choose to use in order to access broadband services just as I was able to do in the USA recently.

Almost every US Cable company provides this modem choice, the UK should not be left behind on this issue / advancement in service provision. Please join the cause by asking OFCOM for the same if you want to have the "freedom" to solve all past and future Virgin media problems yourself and not have to rely on Virgin to come up with a solution, and also potentially get a bonus monthly fee reduction to boot!!!

2. Accelerate the roll-out of DOCSIS 3.1 modems to customers who request early adoption. The DOCSIS 3.1 modems should run perfectly fine in DOCSIS 3.0 mode until a customer gets a local infrastructure upgrade. In other words Virgin should NOT conflate the new modem roll-out with infrastructure upgrades, and then use that as an excuse not to solve the Puma 6 problem sooner. The following quote is from Cablelabs:

"Do you need to deploy DOCSIS 3.1 technology in the upstream and downstream simultaneously?

No, DOCSIS 3.1 technology is backwards compatible to DOCSIS3.0 technology. A DOCSIS 3.1 downstream can operate with a DOCSIS 3.0 upstream and a DOCSIS 3.1 upstream can operate with a DOCSIS 3.0 downstream channel."

3. Replace, on customer demand, all Virgin media Hub 3 with the Hub 2. This applies to at least all customers who only ever had a Hub 3.

Superuser
Message 10 of 37 (666 Views)

Hiya @colinsuk good post, just to comment on your suggestions
1. Don't think that would ever happen since brings in risk of chipped modems, threat to network etc.. plus would be a nightmare on tne backend systems, and would need to get them shipped from states
2. Do agree docs is 3.1 has been about for so long, since can docsis 3.1 for down and 3.0 for up etc..
3. These are rare in stock, would be nice if virginmedia asked manufactures to make a giant batch and offer them to all people having issue, but guessing the owner liberty global will say no to that due to costs etc..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution