Menu
Adrianf
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Installed HUB 3.0 now can't have ethernet !

Have had the new HUB 3.0 to complement Vivid 200.  Wifi is improved, general speed seems slightly better.  Problem, as soon as we connect the cable to the ethernet socket in the house the whole system fails and the HUB loses its IP address constantly looking for a new one.  So now have lost all items connected to the ethernet. Sonos, printers etc.  Have had 3 Virgin Engineers and 3 new HUBS, all have the same fault.  The cable I use to plug into the ethernet socket works fine when plugged directly into the HUB with other devices.  All the system worked fine with HUB 2.0.

Help, any ideas?  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
smudgger
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installed HUB 3.0 now can't have ethernet !

I had something similar when I first got a superhub 2 hub 2 new hubs and many hours to support with no luck then found out that my NAS was booting up before the hub and taking the hubs ip address so had to give NAS a static ip address could you have a similar device connected ?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am a bit confused by what you mean by the ethernet socket in the house. Are you using powerline adapters?

A bit more detail on your set up would be useful.

0 Kudos
Adrianf
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No, we have the ethernet wall sockets with 1 telephone and and 1 standard ethernet socket.  The wall sockets attach to a Netgear switch hub.  Nothing in that set up has changed since we plugged the old HUB 2.0 into the same socket.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ok, with you now.

I take it  all devices work fine when connected directly to the Hub.

Have you have tested the switch and the ethernet socket connection seperately?

Does the switch have a DHCP server?

It is a bit hard to try and diagnose problems like this remotely without precise info on your set up and what diagnostic steps you have already tried.

Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Post the full details of the Netgear Switch please. If we know the model number etc. it would help.

0 Kudos
smudgger
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had something similar when I first got a superhub 2 hub 2 new hubs and many hours to support with no luck then found out that my NAS was booting up before the hub and taking the hubs ip address so had to give NAS a static ip address could you have a similar device connected ?

0 Kudos
Adrianf
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Its a Netgear Prosafe 24 Port Gigabit Switch JGS524 v2.  When it is connected there seems to be a fight for the IP address and therefore no internet

0 Kudos
Adrianf
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This seems like a similar issue but this is the same set up and I had a Super Hub 2.0 with it and that worked fine.

0 Kudos
Adrianf
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I did not install the Netgear switch  it was with the house when I bought it a couple of years ago. I don't believe it has a server no.  I have checked all the cables and now the new Super HUB has been swapped out twice, I have also connected the cable that was coming from the HUB to the ethernet socket with an electronic online post meter an that works fine with it.

0 Kudos
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Adrianf - when you plug the cable from the Hub 3 into the ethernet port (and effectively into the Netgear) does a link light come on on that that port on the Netgear switch? I'm wondering if the Netgear switch doesn't support Auto-MidiX feature, because: There are two kinds of ethernet cables, straight-through and cross-over. They are wired differently, straight-through is used to connect client devices like PCs etc to switches, and cross-overs are used to connect routers to switches. Auto-MidiX feature on a switch, means that no matter which type of device or ethernet cable you use to connect to a switch, the switch auto-magically negotiates the physical layers and IP communication works.

Auto-MidiX is not a new thing, but maybe the Netgear doesn't support it, may the Netgear isn't new either. And maybe the Hub 3.0 doesn't support it either, or maybe it does but it doesn't play nicely with Netgear's implementation.

What to do: 

1) If the Netgear has one port marked MidiX or MDX with a switch beside it to change modes, then plug the Hub 3 into that port and press the switch to change modes and see if the link light comes on on the Netgear ahd Hub 3.

Another test would be looking at the ethernet link lights on Hub, because I'd expect that when you plug the Hub into the postal machine thingy that the link LED come on on the Hub 3, but when you plug the Hub 3 into the switch the link lights/LEDs don't come on on either device.

0 Kudos