Menu
JBH1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Infuriating connection problems...

Hey guys,

I have a really annoying network problem, that I can't figure out how to solve myself. It started about 7 or 8 months ago when I kept being kicked off Battlefield 4 with a loss of connection. I gave up in the end and stopped playing. The same thing now happens with Battlefield 1 and some other games and also general connection drops out intermittently.

I have tried almost everything I can think of, and sought help on other forums, they ended up directing me here. I have also called Virgin Media, who said they can't see a problem, the guy wasn't much help and just tried to keep selling me the "gaming package" which I know I don't need. Router has been totally reset numerous times and all settings within played around with, power levels are also OK. Computer has been completely formatted with a fresh install.

I've worked out that the connection (at least to BF1) dropped out almost to the minute, every 30 minutes which I found strange. (20 minutes and 50 minutes past every hour). This isn't an issue when browsing the internet but it makes gaming or anything that requires a constant connection impossible!

Strangely, going through a VPN seems to work, and it solves the connection issue, but this is a less than ideal solution as it increases my latency ten-fold unless I pay for a premium one.

I have included two pictures that may help someone to diagnose my problem. First one is just my router network log page. Second one is from PingPlotter. Pingplotter has been consistently showing high packet loss on Hop 1, the picture shows the google DNS but the other tabs (which are BF4 servers) show exactly the same issue on Hop 1.

Most people I've spoken to (including ex Virgin techies) have told me the problem is the router.

Thanks

Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpg

Joe

0 Kudos
JBH1
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Infuriating connection problems...

This is another picture that may give more insight, I ran the test for longer, the IP is a BF4 server, the top graph is Hop 1, the bottom is Hop 15 the packet loss seems to occur at fairly regular intervals.

Untitled2.jpg

0 Kudos
Olivka43
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Very similar problem here, no one replayed to my post.
My problem orbits around dropped packets ~20 a day... constant kicks while playing games such as OW or CSGO. Kind off Gave Up now.. tbf....
To me reliability is the most important thing with the internet.

0 Kudos
JBH1
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully someone will reply to us soon. I've been told they are very helpful on this forum and that you can actually talk with someone who knows what they are talking about unlike over the phone!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JBH1,

Thanks for the info, though I've run a number of diagnostic checks on your service and all looks in good shape from this end, no contention issues, power level, noise or return path problems are evident, so the latency is a bit of a mystery.

How are you connected wired or wireless?

If you've not tried it then dropping your Hub into modem mode with a wired connection (cat5e or better cable) direct to your pc would be the next step.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos