Menu
SacuShi
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Idea to reduce frustration

I work for BT.  I am a technical helpdesk assistant, and I know there are scripts to follow and processes and 'flows' to follow for your technical help guys.

BUT, for people who are technically savvy (I used to own my own computer store and have been using computers since the ZX81), it can be absolutely infuriating to have the 1st line technical guys going through their flow in a scripted manner, asking me to do things that are nothing to do with the problem.

For example, I upgraded to the Vivid 300 pack, so should have BB speeds somewhere around that figure (I know about the kind of things that can affect BB speed including time of day, traffic, website etc etc etc etc.).  However, since my upgrade, I am getting less than 200Mb/s (with the 200  package I was getting around 180Mb/s to 205Mb/s most of the time), 

Nothing else has changed.  I have the Hub 3, and the wiring, TV, phone, computer (desktop, wired, Gigabit Intel network card on full duplex 1Gbps mode), nothing has changed other than Virgin upgrading my package to Vivid 300 from Vivid 200.  It stands to reason that the change is at Virgin end, not my end and I told this info to the advisor.

But, through the script he goes, in broken English, either not understanding the information I am giving (including from the advanced router settings about the channels etc.), or he chose not to take any notice of what I told him.

So, through the 'switch it off and switch it on' process we went.  Apparently he has made 'technical changes' at he Virgin end and I need to call back in 24 hours to see if the issue of the BB speed is fixed.  This scripted process, explained in a patronising manner assuming I am an idiot, or someone who knows nothing about PC's networks etc is horrible.

My idea for Virgin, it to have a team of technical guys on 1st line who are not scripted and who deal solely with those people who are technically savvy, those who know their router from their modem, those that know a KB/s from their Kb/s.

This would reduce frustration and allow the customer to get to the problem much quicker.

We at BT have this setup and have found our satisfaction has skyrocketed.

Do away with the scripts and get people who actually know what they are talking about on the tech side.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Idea to reduce frustration

You are preaching to the choir, we have been on about this for years, it ain't going to happen

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Idea to reduce frustration

You are preaching to the choir, we have been on about this for years, it ain't going to happen

0 Kudos