Menu
cannfoddr
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IPv6 - when?

Just received an email from Sixxs.net to say they will be shutting down their excellent IPv6 tunnel brokering service for IPv6.  Ive been using them since 2012 to provide me with a number of tunnels for home and work, its a real shame that they are going but I think they have come to the conclusion that so long as they and others are filling the huge gap in IPv6 being left by the ISPs then adoption will not move forward the way it should.

A quick look through the forums here an quite a few questions about IPv6 mostly answered by Virgin doesn't support IPv6, going all the way back to 2012.

Some references to an ISP review article give some glimmers of hope for this year.

I recognise the chances of getting a straightforward answer are extremely remote....

"When will Virgin Media be able to provide me with proper working IPv6 access with a /48 address to call my very own?"

Yes I know what I am talking about when it comes to IPv6, I have been running IPv6 across my home networks for at least the last 5 years.

Come on VM lets get things moving!!

Cameronb
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: IPv6 - when?

I completely agree... Come on Virgin Media step it up! Let's get IPv6 enabled :-)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin remain tight-lipped as to when they'll be deploying IPv6 so your guess is as good as mine.

I use Hurricane Electrics Tunnelbroker.net myself so I too have had IPv6 up and running for some time.  I note though that although the original recommendation was that end users be given a /48 this was changed to suggest that they be given a /56 instead.  Certainly, for most home users, that should support their subnetting needs.

We've yet to see what form Virgin's v6 allocation will take but if they give everyone a /48 I'd be surprised.

I do wonder if Virgin's drive to get rid of older modems and routers off the network is related to this though.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay, showing my age here .....

What's the advantage of IPv6 for the average home user like myself ? I have it at the moment via my BT circuit but don't use it. I fact the only thing I've noticed is my XBox One NAT is now Moderate, whereas before it was Strict, but that never bothered me. (I'm Dual wan btw, VM & BT.)

I presume it comes into it's own where there are lots of IT kit in the house ?

0 Kudos
cannfoddr
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The advantages of IPv6 for the average user (probably for most users) are pretty few and far between.  There certainly is no killer app for IPv6....yet....sure one will come and then there will be a mad rush for everyone and all the ISPs to enable IPv6.

• Some gaming networks have made a move towards IPv6 - BattleNet from Blizzard has IPv6 options that come in and will improve your World or Warcraft or Starcraft experience somewhat.
  • Quite a few media services are IPv6 aware - Netflix recently decided that IPv6 tunnels are an attempt to get around geo-location and decided to block them so I lost Netflix access when using IPv6 because I currently tunnel stuff, supposedly this does not apply to ISPs providing IPv6; was a strange decision as my tunnel is explicitly terminated in the UK
  • Machines on the local network will prefer IPv6 for talking to one another and the internet if its there and an address record (AAAA) exists for a site.  If I look on my router I can see a significant portion of my internet traffic is using IPv6 already.
  • I get a small thrill sometimes from going to http://ipv6.sixxs.net and seeing that I have an IPv6 address

The big promise of IPv6 is the totally flat addressing model - no more NAT means every address can talk to every other address the whole internet becomes a massive peer to peer network with no more need to have servers sitting on non NATted addresses so folks can talk to one another - "disintermediation" is the name of the game.

IPv4 is running out - expect to see more and more use of NAT to eke out what is left; by comparison enough Itvs addresses to give a multitude of addresses and networks to everyone on the planet and only use a "drop in the ocean" of whats available.

Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and information.

I've just had a quick look and indeed the Xbox One, a PC, 2 laptops and my Windows phone all have an IPv6 address allocated from the Router, alongside the IPv4 addresses. I guess that's why my XBox strict NAT went to Moderate as it now has IPv6 as well  .....

0 Kudos
cannfoddr
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bear in mind there are different types of IPv6 addresses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address#Unicast_addresses

You may be seeing Link Local addresses being allocated.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As VM cannot get the Hub3 working reliably, I dread the day they turn on IP 6, even though I would like it very much.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
deasmi
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A /56 is likely to be enough for anyone, and totally justifiable.

As VM are currently only advertising a /46 given people /48 blocks wouldn't last the very long !

Mind you neither would /56, or evern /64.

2a02:88fe:8::/46

So I guess they'll be needing some more assignments before this is going live.

0 Kudos