Menu
berniex822
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

IP problem

I had a message on shutdown to say my IP address was being used by another computer and to change my IP address or contact my network admin. Worried as I don't know how to change the address and can't get help on Virgin's site. Any help gratefully received

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IP problem

Hi berniex822,

It sounds like a LAN IP conflict, which can occur when the router provides an internal IP to one device whilst it's sill in use on another. It's not a common thing to happen but I have experienced it myself a few times.

I'm not sure though what you mean by "My contacts and I don't seem to have had any problems since the pop-up message except for some strange emails in German, Spanish (or Portuguese). "

What contacts are these and how do they relate to your IP issue? Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm a tad confused Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey there berniex822,

Thanks for posting Smiley Very Happy

I appreciate you getting in touch to raise this query. May I ask if this was a Microsoft message you received? Do you connect via wireless or Ethernet?

Please get back to us so we can investigate further.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
berniex822
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm on an Apple MacBook Pro and the message was not a  Microsoft one. I use a wireless connection to Virgin Media. I've since found out that the message could mean that another Mac was using my IP address (and I have another MacBook, although it was not switched on at the time). My contacts and I don't seem to have had any problems since the pop-up message except for some strange emails in German, Spanish (or Portuguese). 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi berniex822,

It sounds like a LAN IP conflict, which can occur when the router provides an internal IP to one device whilst it's sill in use on another. It's not a common thing to happen but I have experienced it myself a few times.

I'm not sure though what you mean by "My contacts and I don't seem to have had any problems since the pop-up message except for some strange emails in German, Spanish (or Portuguese). "

What contacts are these and how do they relate to your IP issue? Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm a tad confused Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
berniex822
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Jen_A. I feared that someone could have hacked into my MacBook and stolen info. Contacts such as family/friends could have suffered in some way? Apart from the odd/peculiar message in foreign languages, no harm seems to have come from the incident. Bernard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bernard,

My pleasure Smiley Happy

Though I am wondering about the 'peculiar message in foreign languages' that you refer to. These sound like spam emails so marking them as spam in webmail should eventually result in these not being delivered to your Inbox.

Check out our advice on spam settings in our help pages. 

And, if you do have any further issues, please make sure you post back on this Forum so we can help.

Kind wishes Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos