Menu
thelim3y
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

IP changes

Hi,

Can anyone explain why my IP keep changing periodically for no apparent reason. I might do for days on my normal 82. ip (that seems to be assigned in some way according to the connecting MAC address) Then all of a sudden it will change onto a 213. All my **bleep** stops working. I know the IP is not static technically but its never change actually changed so I use it in this fashion. If I use a different mac (modem,interface) to connect to Virgin it will give me a different IP but with my Fortigate it always gives me the same 82. IP.

Any Ideas why it might jump onto this other network? Traffic Management?

Its only recently started in the last few months as normally its fine (ive years of Thinkbroadband connection graphs showing its been on this same IP)

Thanks

LM

0 Kudos
thelim3y
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP changes

Anyone any idea about this? keeps happening just randomly. Causing me problem now. I understand its dynamic but if it wont stay static for a day then its broken imo. I would really like to avoid ringing as I can imagine asking India about this question would be impossible. Unless its not the 75% questions they simple cannot deal with it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello thelim3y

Interesting, for the last month it looks like the IP issued from us is 213.x.x.x however if I look at your IP recorded when you last posted on the forum, it is 82.x and seems to belong to Zen internet. Do you think that could be it?

% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '82.xxxxxxxxxxxx

% Abuse contact for '82.xxxxxxxxxxxx' is 'abuse@zen.co.uk'

inetnum:        82.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
netname:        ZEN000090436
descr:          Mr #############
descr:
admin-c:        RT1337-RIPE
tech-c:         ZIRA1-RIPE
mnt-by:         ZEN-MNT
mnt-lower:      ZEN-MNT
mnt-routes:     ZEN-MNT
created:        2014-07-22T23:21:05Z
last-modified:  2014-07-22T23:21:05Z
source:         RIPE

Thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
thelim3y
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No. I have a work connection that I was using when I logged into the forums. nothing to do with that IP.

Can you explain why it keeps changing? As currently it makes this service pretty much usless for most of what I use it for. The IP hasn't changed like this for 7 years (I had a small break in service) but its never been a problem before until recently.

Why does this 213 IP randomly get issued from you guys? It continues to happen. I got reissued my normal 82. Ip at about 4pm today, before this I had the 213. IP again. There has to be a reason for this?? Nothing is being done to return to the 82. I wasn't even in the house.

Can you open a ticket for me about this as if it continues then I'm going to have to cancel the service. I'm paying for something that doesn't work more than half the time.

Thinkbroadband graphs they provide ping the IP I normally get - 

Today  http://i.imgur.com/QyNVgEE.png

Yesterday it did it multiple times - http://i.imgur.com/1upG8sL.png

The red is basically the normal IP not responding, but this is when it changes over to this 213 IP address. Please can you get this reported and find out why on earth this is happening. Like I said I will have no option to cancel as no ISP would have the IP changing like this for obvious service reasons. I'm paying allot of money for this connection only.

0 Kudos
thelim3y
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Anyone? None of the tech support have any ideas?

0 Kudos
thelim3y
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still happening. Have I no option than to just Cancel it??

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @thelim3y

I am sorry, but we don't offer a static IP address option, or any guarantees over the longevity of the lease.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
thelim3y
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jame,

Can you please pass this to someone who understand the product you sell more. No you do not give a static IP but IP's are Leased to the interface(connecting mac if your case). They can change but they generally will not unless the connecting interface is left disconnected for a long period and the IP is assign out to a different interface (lease expired)

The issue here is not your dynamic policy. I have worked for 3 large ISP's for 15 years so I know alittle about this. "my" Ip is always reassigned to me after this "problem" goes away (sometimes if I reboot the virgin media box). The issue is that the connection is hard dropped, the connection is forced to reconnect and I am give the new 213 IP address. The fact that I'm always given back my old SAME 82. should make you think?

It has just happened 3 minutes ago. I SHOULD get the same IP as my lease would never have expire. Services that run on a computer or server would go ape **bleep** if you change the IP address every time someone just dropped and reconnected instantly. Hence why even an ISP with a dynamic policy would reissue the same IP to the customer unless what I mentioned above happened. There routing tables would go ape **bleep** if you honestly did this, this is why leases are used in these cases. It takes time for routes to change so if you reissued a new IP on a single drop half your customers would have problems getting on the internet and your phones would be ringing off the hook.

Can you get an answer from a network team that understand what I'm trying to ask you. This strange 213. IP you give me is forced on me from you. My connection is terminated by you to reassign me this IP. I need to know exactly WHY.

This is a problem here, no to mention that the connection is dropped because of this, which in itself is a problem, but the fact I'm given the exact SAME 213. IP address each time this happens (no a randomly assigned dynamic) makes me believe even more this is some form of shaping that's playing up or something your not aware off.

Can you raise a ticket to whom ever you need to ask about this or do I need to go down formal complaints procedures? 

0 Kudos