Menu
Fred66
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

IP and MAC blocking has stopped working

Ladies/Gents, good evening.

Superhub router using standard Virgin software.

Previously setup by men to restrict Internet access by certain devices to certain times ... son's xBox, Phone etc so he's not stopping up all night. The internet has to be left on for the rest of the household. He has to be physically locked out of the internet (special needs child with a very big problem with rules!)

I'd previously identified his devices by means of their MAC address and set suitable timed access rules. These worked and helped me manage my son's behaviour.

MAC timed access has now stopped working, I tried setting timed access by IP address but again he continues to access the internet. He is only connecting through our router.

Any ideas what's happening please and how to fix.

All suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Fred66
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP and MAC blocking has stopped working

Apologies for spelling etc, for instance, "Previously setup by men to ... " should read "Previously setup by me to ... "

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Fred66,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that your settings have reset, we can get this back up and running. If you go to 192.168.0.1 and sign in using your details, then locate Advanced Settings > Security > MAC Filtering. From here you will see all the options to configure your Superhub to suit your needs.

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Fred66
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No, apologies but I mustn't have made myself clear. I don't have any problems setting timed access rules via MAC or IP addressing it as that the rules I'd set had stopped working and my youngest son was able to stay on line at all times of the day or night, which of course is very harmful for him.

I have though discovered the problem, to allow for different scenarios I'd setup alternative rules the time slots of some overlapped each other. By removing the overlapping rules the remaining ones started being effective again and all is well with the world. :-)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fred66,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Sorry if I misunderstood you, thanks for clearing it up for me. Glad to hear that you've found a fix, really appreciate you keeping me up to date.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Fred66
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No that's cool thanks, I appreciated your time in replying.

As a bonus I've experimented a little and can now confirm absolutely that with the current software if you set overlapping time slots when MAC filtering then NO time slot is effective.

Might be something to stick in your back pocket if the issue gets raised in the future.

All the best, and thanks again.

0 Kudos