Menu
Jacob_yearoo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I want a completely separate wireless internet

My mum has got the vivid 200 broadband package, as I'm an avid gamer and there's quite a few people in the house so my internet drops out quite frequently, I was thinking of buying the vivid 200 gamer broadband and my question is, can I buy that router and install it and have a completely separate wireless internet to myself essentially.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want a completely separate wireless internet

No.

You can add your own separate wireless access point, but as HUB has no QOS features you will likely still experience buffering.

Your best option , if your connection is regularly getting full speed, is to get a separate wireless router with decent QOS features. Then put the HUB in modem mode

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Actually it has been done before, i.e. 2 accounts at the same house although this was a few years ago so not sure if it is still possible.

But basically thats what you'd have to do I think, then you could have a totally separate internet connection from the rest of the household..

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

Actually it has been done before, i.e. 2 accounts at the same house although this was a few years ago so not sure if it is still possible.

But basically thats what you'd have to do I think, then you could have a totally separate internet connection from the rest of the household..

VM will only set up one account per postal address ATM. No idea if that's a recent change, but that's the current information.

OP could of course get his/her own line from another supplier. BT infinity or similair, theres a fair few on here have 2 suppliers for redundancy.

Jacob_yearoo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Would it matter what wireless router I would use
0 Kudos
Jacob_yearoo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is wifi with two access points recommended,would it cause a lot of interference?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If your talking about ACTUAL access points, NOT WiFi repeaters, you can use them in conjunction with any WiFi Network your router supplies.

But a decent wireless router (think Asus, mid range) would allow you to set bandwidth available to each device, or prioritise say gaming traffic over streaming video. Which is likely to be enough for your requirements.

Theres also the fact a true Access Point is going to need hardwired to the router.  Unless you go down the mesh network route which will cost silly money.

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you were a real gamer you wouldn't be using WiFi Smiley Happy

As mentioned you'll need  a wire to each of your access points. Pretty much any WiFi router can be used as an access point, but check its Wifi specs 1st and best of possible to get one with gigabit ports and 5Ghz.

Also as mentioned, If you want to be able restrict bandwidth etc, then you'd need to set the hub to modem mode and have another router to do that. beware that some routers when restricting bandwidth can effect the ping.

Regarding interference, you can set the routers to use different channels,but its probably a good idea to get one of those wifi scanner apps so you can see how congested the wifi bands are at your location, and it will also help in choosing clear channels etc.

Jacob_yearoo
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Trust me I've wanted wired for awhile now but as it's not my house I have to respect that hence why I was looking for a second router
0 Kudos
Jacob_yearoo
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Would you say end Routers such as a netgear nighthawk is worth it as they already have a band with optimal for gaming
0 Kudos