Menu
Jenson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been Ddos!!

Hi guys, little background information on my situation.. 

Its really pathetic but i'll tell you anyway, i was playing in a call of duty tournament for money & we come across this one team with an unbeaten record.. long story short the guy is lagswitching the whole time & they win £350 and after he starts sending me messages telling me to invite him to the party chat.. 

My friend ends up inviting him to which enabled him to retrieve our IP addresses.. he then messages me telling me my location & he will flood my traffic in 3...2...1 next minute my ps4 goes off.. pc disconnects and my phone.. so i power cycle the router hoping it would change my ip ( might not as i think its static from standard? ) so i did a speed test and my ping was over 700 and my download at a measly 2kb when its usually 72mb

Hopefully you guys can advise how i can change my ip as i'm sure that's possible? I've put it into modem mode at the moment which enables me to type this to you...

Any help appretiated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: I've been Ddos!!

You have taken the only option, modem mode, to get a different IP address.

Returning to router mode will almost certainly return you to the address which you inadvertently advised to the unscrupulous cheat.

0 Kudos
Jenson
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As i thought, but now i can only use one port at a time? I have my pc / ps4 & tivo box for my family plugged into that and your telling me as this degenerate has decided to target me i have to spend my own money on a separate router? its crazy!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why do you think Virgin Media should provide you with another IP address which you, yourself, admit causing the current one to get poisoned? I'm sure the nasty people you are involved with will go away eventually when they get bored.

How happy do you think another Virgin Media customer would be if they inherited your IP address if you were allocated another one?

0 Kudos
Jenson
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I Wasn't the person who was actually responsible for poisoning my ip if you can read, when the messages were being sent i blocked him & left it there.. as i said it was a friend who invited him.

Also i'm obviously not getting my virgin media services to the fullest i'm i? You don't have to be patronizing in your replies

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry you feel I'm being patronising but it's your internet connection so it's your responsibility. You gave your friend access to your internet.

It's not Virgin Media's fault you can't use your service to the full either.

IP addresses are not infinite. If you get a new one, someone else gets your bad one.

You have two options:

1. Wait until your opponent gets bored and goes away;

2. Buy a cheap router.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jenson

I am sorry you have been Ddos'd. Is the abuse originating on our network do you know? It may be worth letting our security team know here please http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at buying an Asus router, I currently have an RT-AC68u in which I can change the external ip + a vpn will help for extra security.
0 Kudos