Menu
fromagegb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 cannot see ethernet connected printer (HP Officejet 4500)

New hub3 works fine with wireless and ethernet wired pc, and logging into hub3 the "connected devices" and "DCHP lease table" show those but not the printer.  I have set on the printer the IP configuration as fixed (having seen a post that suggested that) with printer settings :

IP address 192.168.000.066  /  subnet mask 255.255.255.000  /  default gateway 192.168.000.001

The printer is not visible in the router, both before and after changing the "number of CPEs" to 10 (presumably restricting the range of automatically assigned addresses) , and also switching printer off and on while hub3 on, and also switching hub3 off and on  while printer powered on.  It does not work.

How should I setup the printer so that the hub sees it?

It worked fine on my old replaced setup of VM modem + my netgear internet router (with appropriate IP addresses.

Help please !

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 cannot see ethernet connected printer (HP Officejet 4500)

If its a network printer you'll likely need to set the static IP both on the HUB AND on the printer.

Once that's done you need to follow the procedure for adding it under windows, which from memory is convoluted.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If its a network printer you'll likely need to set the static IP both on the HUB AND on the printer.

Once that's done you need to follow the procedure for adding it under windows, which from memory is convoluted.

0 Kudos
fromagegb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks.  Presumably "adding it as a static IP on the hub" means manually creating a "reserved IP rule" in the DHCP settings.  

I would be grateful if you would point me to the windows procedure you mentioned.  I am a linux user but I expect I can figure it out from that.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you create a reserved ip on the hub, then you can set the printer back to dynamic and the hub will always give it that address.

If its left on static, then it will never ask the hub of an ip address and the hub will never see it.

once you;ve done that all you should need to do is run the setup in windows and it should find the printer.... 

if not open a dos prompt and try pining  it

I have a hp printer on a lan and it installed without any issues.

0 Kudos
fromagegb
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Kippies and Steve, all is now working.

The correct combination I found was to (1) in the hub3 setup, manually add a "reserved IP rule" in the DHCP settings, quoting the MAC address of the printer,  and an IP address not use by other devices then (2) altering the hub's "number of CPEs" back to more than embrace the IP I assigned, and (3) resetting the printer itself to "automatic IP" rather than manually defined.  On repowering the printer, it then appeared in the "attached devices".  At that point, printer visible to the hub, the printer was found by my pc using HP device manager.

(In case this helps others, this was done on the pc by "sudo hp-setup" from terminal, "advanced options", and "manual discovery" by entering the IP address used.  It was not found automatically.)

Also for possible reference, having the IP manually assigned in the printer, did not work either with or without the "DHCP reserved rule", as Steve said.

I now have to wait and see if it all disappears in a week when the DHCP reservation expires ...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Glad its working for you-

Nice to see some Linux users about, as you may have gathered default mode is "they are using a win PC" so its usually that we give advice for.

Despite the fact that windows is supposed to be plug and play, the Linux set up seems a lot handier, certainly than setting up my Ricoh Network printer. From memory it was the fact that windows wants a TCP/IP assigned printer port in software that caused issues. Just again for reference for people having similair issues.

0 Kudos