Menu
SausageRoll
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub broadcasting unwanted hotspot

I have opted out on my account and made sure the settings on the hub for a guest network are off yet my Hub 3 is still broadcasting a 'Virginmedia Wifi' and a Guest network!!!

Please dont make me buy a seperate wifi router and use your hub 3 in router mode VM..... if i have to I will open the hub and physically remove the wifi antennas!! Sort it out.

Im not interested in your spare bandwidth and its a secure seperate network speech... i want all the bandwidth and its using my electricity!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub broadcasting unwanted hotspot

Guest Network is a second WiFi channel separated from the main subnet so you can allow people on to your WiFi without giving them access to LAN resources. Devices still need the password to log in (unless you've changed that)

Its nothing to do with the public WiFi hot spot trial which AFAIK is on hold until at least 2017

So -

Good News- no need to surgically remove any of the hubs antennas (attenae??)

0 Kudos
SausageRoll
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks...... but i dont want it to broadcast any network apart from my own password protected one that I have authorised and set up and if they dont sort it i will get my own router and trust me.... there will be nothing surgical about the hub 3 antenna removal process....... now wheres my claw hammer.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Go to your HUB interface- Log in - Click Guest Network

guest1.jpg

Uncheck the box....

guest2.jpg

Apply the changes...Job done..

Now put the hammer away....

0 Kudos
SausageRoll
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is off but it is still broadcasting a guestnetwork and another labelled 'virginmedia wifi'.

I am competent in router settings.....

Thats why im annoyed that its still broadcasting even after setting it on lockdown.

Hence considering buying seperate wifi router and using the hub 3 in modem mode. And ripping the antennas out of the stupid thing just to make sure!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

if the guest network is turned off, sure your not picking up on a neighbor's wifi signal
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If its off in the settings it aint your HUB3 - unless its broken. Ive had a couple on all the firmware's and none of them exhibit that behavior.

Switch it off, see if you still see the guest network.

Like paultechy , at a guess someone close to you has had VM installed.

0 Kudos
SausageRoll
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes, they vanish when hub is powered off. I have checked, checked and checked again. it is my Hub!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kay Ill flag it up, Sounds like you'll need it replaced, but staff will be able to tell us better.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SausageRoll, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue with your hub broadcasting other networks even though you've turned these off. 

Speaking with my colleagues on this one, they've agreed that they've not seen this before. Even though you've selected the network to be off, are these changes being saved? When you log in again, is the setting still off or has it turned back on?

It's worth performing a factory reset on the hub to see if this helps. Give it a try and come back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos