Menu
briUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3

I've just been upgraded and received a hub 3.  While the speed of the WiFi and the broadband service is fantastic I don't think the hub is suitable for any 'power' user as it has limited functionality  to configure and control the hub to allow it to integrate into an existing network infrastructure:

- No ability to configure the IP address of the hub on the local network - fixed at 192.168.0.1

- No ability to turn off DHCP and no ability to add more advanced configuration to the DHCP server

- Blocks avahi/bonjour/zeroconf traffic on the local network (WiFi connected devices cannot be discovered on local network - laptop on WiFi not able to discover raspberry pi connected on ethernet cable)

As several users have already pointed out the UI is painfully slow.  

All of this functionality was available in the original hub, so I hope Virgin will address these issues going forward if hub 3 is the future of their broadband hub

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3

hiya, @briUK hub was just designed to get people online with basic features, if you need more advanced features, best idea would be to put hub into modem mode and use a 3rd party router, as many of my fellow superusers suggest using a asus rt68 series router, this has all the advanced features you should need, price is a bit higher than most router but worth it.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
briUK
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have already worked round the hub's shortcomings, but it is really disappointing that the upgraded service has downgraded capability and requires additional hardware to duplicate functionality that is available in the hub but is unusable from the hub due to poor config options.

Does anyone know if there is an official way to feed back these thoughts back to Virgin - or do they monitor this community for feedback?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yeah the forum admin forum admin would feedback any suggestions left it posts.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
HackedComputer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, and a plethora of other issues, I'm sure that they are aware.

The Hub 3.0 relies on SNMP to make adjustments, might be worth cracking the private string to make additional changes that aren't available within the GUI Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
wyealex
Settling in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@briUK - I am in an identical situation and would really like to know about your workarounds. So far I'm limping along with a static IP on the Pi but it's be great if all the networked devices could resolve their hostnames. The Hub 3.0 certainly can, but it doesn't like to share them...

0 Kudos