Menu
Italianjoe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 wifi printing issues

I am having problems with Virgin Media ever since it has been installed a month ago. So far I have been unable print from my Apple devices wirelessly (iPad,iPhone, MacBook Pro). The printer is a Brother DCP-9020CDW. We never had a problem printing till we changed to Virgin Media. I have followed threads from a year ago where I can see there were a number of issues with Apple devices connecting to printers wirelessly. I could see updates were done and at that point the problem should have been solved. As a brand new customer I am at a loss how to correct the problem. 

I was previously with sky where all devices were able to print wirelessly with out a problem!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wifi printing issues

and when you switched to VM did you set the printer up again on the new wifi or leave it as it was. If you didn't set it up again ti will be looking for the old wireless that is not there anymore so wont have anything to connect to
0 Kudos
Italianjoe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
Hi Apcyberax, Yes we reset everything and added the new passwords too. I am able to print from my PC (software installed)but it seems to be a problem with Apple devices. I tried installing the drivers on my MacBook Pro,something I never normally have have to do as it usually find any wireless printer, this did not work. All my devices say Printer not Found.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Italianjoe,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear about the complications you're having with your connections since joining us.

I wonder if it would help if you were to change your wireless network names and passwords. With your Hub your devices will either connect to a 5G or 2G network, but they appear with the same network name. If you change it to something personal you can ensure that your wireless printer is connected on the same wireless band as the devices you're going to print from.

You can find all the info on how to do this by clicking on our help article here.

Please let us know if this helps,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Italianjoe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internal server error. It cannot be displayed. Italianjoe

0 Kudos
Italianjoe
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The article link in your reply just clicks through to an error page, would you be able to resend the link. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Italianjoe wrote:

The article link in your reply just clicks through to an error page, would you be able to resend the link. Thanks 

Heather (or ForumTeam colleague) will no doubt correct in due course but link error may be due to her internal VM company Webserver and mirroring updates/delays on public server that all us customers access? Smiley Sad 

Meantime try > https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...    as basically use of common SSID broadcast name can cause some issues so updating 2.4/5GHz bands with an individual unique name via Advanced Setting can help in some of these scenario's.

The Brother (model) printer appears to be Airprint compatable (although you haven't specified firmware version) but assuming it's up-to-date and that similarly your iPad (again model/firmware version not specified) or your MBP (again model/macOS not specified) is upto date then if you have already:

• Enabled UpNp and WPS on SH3 2.4GHz
  • Followed the Brother WPS attachment process
  • Used the DHCP Reservation process for the Bro 2.4GHz mac address 
  • Not deliberately disabled Bonjour networking on Hub nor Apple Device(eg iPad/iPhone) then the Bro printer should work.
  • Checked for "Energy saving/Sleep" settings on Bro printer.

Clearly if you've done all the above then you will need to elaborate  further with those details so others with same Apple devices and Bro Printer  IOS/macOS/firmware can also cross check and assist more authoritatively.

There are Bonjour Browsers, Fring and Network Analysers available across MBP (including Sierra 10.12.3) iPad/IOS 10.3 so you would have to be a tad unllucky to have a specific Printer/Apple (firmware) incompatability.   

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Italianjoe
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

horseman,

My PC and printer have been connected through WI-FI OK from the start. My daughter's and my iPad have not been able.

When we try to connect to the printer, the iPad cannot find it , as non existent. Italianjoe

0 Kudos
MailUser
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Try wading through this post which has fixes (workarounds)

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/AirPrint-not-working-on-Superhub-3-based-sys...

For a Brother printer see "fix" of enabling IPv6 in the wireless setup on printer

0 Kudos
Italianjoe
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

I think to have tried IPv6 in the beginning without much luck. Now with my second router TP-LINK-D14E linked to the Superhub-3 everything works fine and I have the advantage of a double security layer plus if I have to change domain or router I will not have to change all my WI-FI devices. So I will stay with the current setup.

I am happy to see that I was not the only person with the same problem, so I don't see why VM have not done something about before.

Sincerely

Italianjoe

0 Kudos