Menu
MichaelR
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 vs Superhub 2ac

Good morning!

Last week I upgraded to Vivid 200 Gamer from standard Vivid 200 because I'm fairly bandwidth intensive and having no traffic management whatsoever appeals to me. As part of this I was told I needed a Hub 3, and this arrived on Tuesday. I finally got around to installing it early this morning and it has caused me nothing but grief.

I activated it over the phone and plugged it in, and after doing its bootup stuff I was stuck with a solid white light on the bottom, a solid green light on the wifi symbol and a flashing green light on the two arrows symbol. I made a few calls to tech support at around 4 in the morning and they ran the usual plethora of tests, resending the activation signal, etc. I called again a while later and I was told my line was being traffic managed and my best bet was to call again at 8am to see if it could be sorted. Being stuck with speeds that made me nostalgic for dialup was not a pleasant experience.

I called again at 8am and the tech confirmed I was being traffic managed, and ran me through a hard reset of the hub and working some magic on his end. This didn't do anything, so he told me an engineer would have to be sent out, mercifully tomorrow morning. Of course, I needed my internet NAO, so I asked him if I could plug in my old Superhub 2ac in the interim. This was sorted in seconds.

So I plugged it in, let it do its flashy lights thing and reconnected the wifi. Not only did I get 220Mbit down, but I got the full 20Mbit up. 

So I guess what I want to know is why I was sent some buggy Hub 3 (not to mention paying £14 odd to have it delivered by Y**el, my most hated of delivery companies) when the Superhub 2ac does the job perfectly well? 

Apologies for the rant.

0 Kudos
CJS23
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 vs Superhub 2ac

Hi. I'm having a nightmare with the Hub 3.0. Level 2 have agreed to post me a Superhub 2ac. I hope and pray it will solve my own issues which are in a live thread here. If it's stable I would advise sticking with the 2ac

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/200mbps-to-60mbps-speed-drops-almost-da...

(I marked an answer as helpful which unhelpfully has marked it as solved which it certainly isn't

MichaelR
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Superhub 2ac is stable for me now. I hope yours will work out for you too. I have an engineer coming out tomorrow to take a look at the Hub 3, but unless he can press upon me a reasonable reason why I should let them reactivate the Hub 3, I'm sticking with the trusty 2ac. 

0 Kudos
CJS23
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I spent 55 minutes and 54 seconds on a call to Virgin yesterday, absolute nightmare. I reckon I have a mix of several faults, the Hub 3.0 seems to have MASSIVE latency issues. My theory is that by reverting back to the 2ac, I can at least eliminate those. I use it in MODEM Mode only, have the latest firmware and have done all the troubleshooting possible. An engineer adjusted my power levels which remain within spec yet my speed drops drastically at random times. My experience is a real eye opener into VM customer service. Feels like users like us are the troubleshooters when in reality all I want to do is pay for a stable connection. If my car did 100mph one day and 30mph the next, then started after 1, 3 or 33 cranks in an arbitrary fashion - I'm sure any garage would take these PROVABLE, SCREENSHOTTED, LOGGED and PROVEABLE instances seriously. Sorry, this is starting to sound like a rant, lol :-)

I hope your connection remains stable!

Just a typical call to VM . . .Just a typical call to VM . . .

0 Kudos
Altissimus
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos