Menu
Paul1919
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 range. Extender advice.

Hi. I've been with Virgin a couple of weeks now and I am struggling with the range of the Hub 3 so I am considering a wifi extender. The one I've been looking at is a Netgear which is about £15 but it isn't dual band. I'd just like to know if this will still work? If it will, would I need to disable the 5ghz in the hub 3 settings? Thanks.

Paul.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 range. Extender advice.

It should work if it is not dual band and you do not have to disable the 5Ghz band on the hub.

The question is how well it will work as wifi repeaters need careful positioning to get a decent enough signal so it can boost it to your out of range devices.

The 2.4Ghz band is narrow and can be heavily affected by wireless interference from neighbouring wifi networks and domestic appliances like A\V Streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems etc. Changing the wireless channel the hub uses can help, downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer will help you select the best channel bearing in mind it will not show interference from domestic appliances.

I would be aware that wireless repeaters will halve your wireless speeds straight off the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

Powerline adapters can be a more reliable way to extend your wireless coverage to hard to reach places, a decent set can be a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for.

To improve general coverage a decent third party router would give a better overall coverage with the entry level Hub put into modem mode.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It should work if it is not dual band and you do not have to disable the 5Ghz band on the hub.

The question is how well it will work as wifi repeaters need careful positioning to get a decent enough signal so it can boost it to your out of range devices.

The 2.4Ghz band is narrow and can be heavily affected by wireless interference from neighbouring wifi networks and domestic appliances like A\V Streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems etc. Changing the wireless channel the hub uses can help, downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer will help you select the best channel bearing in mind it will not show interference from domestic appliances.

I would be aware that wireless repeaters will halve your wireless speeds straight off the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

Powerline adapters can be a more reliable way to extend your wireless coverage to hard to reach places, a decent set can be a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for.

To improve general coverage a decent third party router would give a better overall coverage with the entry level Hub put into modem mode.

0 Kudos
Paul1919
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I have tried the wifi app/changing channels etc. with no luck and the modem mode w/ third party router seems a bit technical. So I think I'll spend a bit more and get a decent powerline. It seems my best option. Thank you for the information. Smiley Happy

Paul.

0 Kudos