Menu
pot-shadley
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 in modem mode?

Just a check but I assume that the Hub 3 will work in modem mode, as I have separate router? I bought this as the hub 2 has poor wi-fi.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 in modem mode?

Yes, Hub 3 can be set in modem mode. See here.

0 Kudos
pot-shadley
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Is the Hub 3 an improvement of the Hub 2? Is it worth the upgrade?

0 Kudos
yabba
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@pot-shadleywrote:

Thanks for that. Is the Hub 3 an improvement of the Hub 2? Is it worth the upgrade?

Not in general no. It has a gui that looks like a homepage from the 90s. The only thing it's missing is a bright yellow background and flashing text.

It's embarrassing to think that Virgin media actually chose to have their gui look like this instead of keep whatever the default interface was. It's difficult to understand why VM get bespoke firmware, make it look bad, fill it with bugs and then spend years trying to deploy fixes.

The best evidence their firmware teams are hopeless is the fact their own managers won't let them release fixes unless they do it region by region. Delaying things even further. It's a software development cycle that went out of fashion last century.

The modem itself is plagued with bugs and issues.

The only reason you want this is if you opt for a broadband speed that's not supported on your existing Cable modem (which, as you've noticed, is no better) and possibly if they push one on you as part of getting the V6 box - which aside from the same year 8 designed interface that has about 2 or 3 different resolutions as you navigate between the settings, does improve the apps compared with the dismally slow tivo it replaced.

If you get a hub because of that, well, you can still use your own router and you should get the latest firmware for the hub 3.0 pretty soon which fixes the worst issue it has.

Some manager at Virgin media hopefully gets a big pile of money from whoever they get their hardware from - because that's the only explanation that makes sense and has a positive spin. If someone isn't being paid under the table, well, they must just be hapless buffoons, because they've screwed up hardware supply over and over and over again and have for decades now. If I developed a hub and VM phoned and asked about purchasing it I'd immediately panic that there must be something fatally wrong with our design because if VM buy your hardware there's a great chance it must suck and no one across the entire supply chain will actually notice this until it's sat in thousands of customers homes going wrong.

You could have better luck than VM have had picking what hardware to give customers if you threw a coin to select them.

Although, as I say, the V6 box is a step in the right direction, as is the fact that they send you the hardware and let you connect and plug it in yourself. All they need to do is sack the 10 year old that designed the gui. Especially on the hub 3.0. It's pathetic.

paul0363
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All that being said above,  I have a Hub 3 and have it set in modem mode with an Asus RT-AC87U router and have had no issues at all (including using a VoIP phone and running a VPN into work). 

The only issue that may affect you is if you're a gamer - there are problems (see this thread) with latency spikes due to a known issue with the Puma 6 chipset used in the Hub 3.

0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I do not believe the hub3 gives any advantage over the hub2 unless you want speeds above VIVID200. I have kept the hub2 in modem mode with my own router to improve wifi, as I have seen no evidence that the hub3 gives any consistent improvement. The hub2 also avoids the Puma latency problems.
0 Kudos
paul0363
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

At least you have the luxury of choice! We're in a new Project Lightning area with a fibre to the premises connection.  We had no option other than a Hub 3 (plus we need it in order to connect the landline phone as it uses the phone port on the back).

0 Kudos
pot-shadley
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So it looks like the best thing I can do is to keep my SH2 for the time being.

0 Kudos