Menu
Oatfedgoat
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 and connecting Synology NAS

Hi all,

After 20 years or so with BT based providers I switched to Virgin.

Very happy with the speed I'm getting of 320mbps off peak and around 220 at peak times.

I have got everything up and running (with zero help of the install engineer) apart from one thing.

My Synology DS1512+ NAS can no longer connect to the internet. It is on the network fine and I can access it from my PC and Smart TV's etc.

I easily connected this with my old BT Home Hub 5 but am unable to do it with my Virgin Smart Hub 3.

There's a few steps on the NAS that I need to go through to get this connected. I'm unable to get past the first hurdle. 

When I go to set up the router i get the message "Set the router to bridge mode". From searching other posts some seemed to suggest changing the Hub 3 to Modem mode. I tried this then quickly realised this would only work for me if I had an additional network router/switch.

For such a basic thing, I am frustrated at not getting this resolved.

Ideally, does anyone have a step by step guide of how to connect a Synology NAS to the internet using the Smart Hub 3 please?

If not then any suggestions are welcomed with open arms!

Advance warning: Once this is resolved I'm likely to post more as I encounter more issues!

Synology 1.JPG

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and connecting Synology NAS

Due to the limiting factors of using the Hub 3.0 as my router , I opted for modem mode and using my own router for my NAS setup , but for your situation I presume the firewall will be enabled by default and you would have to create some rules to allow it to connect.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Could you clarify what you mean by Connecting the synology to the internet.

Do you mean your synology doesn't connect to the internet, i.e. it is unable to check for updates etc.

Or do you mean you can't access the synology from an external location.

If so how do you normally access the synology from an external location, is it using synologys quick connect, or by opening ports yourself?

0 Kudos
Oatfedgoat
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just connecting it to the Internet for FW updates etc.

I did try to turn off the firewall for testing but this made no difference unfortunately.

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Is your NAS set as a static IP or assigned by DHCP ? Does it need port forwarding ?

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Oatfedgoat
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, set the nas as a static ip in the Virgin hub.

This was the first thing I did this so that I can see the NAS using the excellent Synology Videostation app on our Smart TV's.

As for port forwarding, I assumed that would be a step I go through after I get it online?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry didn't see your image when I 1st looked, maybe it was still being verified.

ok so it can't find a DNS server and seems to think there are 2 routers.

reading the rest of your messages, are you sure the hub is in modem mode.

If the hub is in modem mode you shouldn't be able to set up anything in it such as static ip's, everything would need to be setup on your own router. 

In modem mode about the only setting you can change on the hub is to disable modem mode.

your synology shouldn't be able to see the hub, so unless you have another router on your network beside the one you mentioned, the synology should only be able to see 1 router.

also you should only have 1 wire going from the hub, and that is to whichever port your router uses as a wan port.

also is the DHCP server on the synology disabled, if its enabled it could cause conflicts, unless that is the one you plan to use in which case you'd need to disable the one on your router.

0 Kudos
killersurfer
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Oatfegoat

I have the same issue. What did you do to fix it?

Simon

0 Kudos
killersurfer
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ah ha... Sorted..
Network settings
Network interface
Click LAN
Edit
Changed from a manual configuration to 'Get a network configuration automatically (DHCP)

Hope this helps

Simon
Przemo82
Settling in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I joined Virgin Media 2 days ago and now I`m having this same problem with my Synology 214play and HUB 3. Before with Sky everything was working fine, access from outside etc. Since I joined Virgin my NAS lost connection with internet, I can`t access it from outside, QuickConnect is not working even I`m not able to download update's to Synology. Inside the house LAN I can access NAS. I have exactly this same massage about 2 routers like previous photo. I tried to forwarding ports on router without success. I also tried change network setting, like killersurfer advised, to automatically get IP from DHCP - did not work. Any help will be very appreciated.

EDIT: Now problem its solved, DHCP plus factory settings for Virgin HUB. Thx

0 Kudos