Menu
ryancool
Joining in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 and Asus Router not connecting

Hi

I'd be grateful for any advice.

I am unable to get my Asus RT AC68U Router to work with the new Hub 3 in modem mode.  The HUB 3 shows a broadband/internet connectivity and the router displays the WAN IP and seems to be connected. 

The Router allocates LAN IP addresses to my pc and other wireless and wired attached devices.

However, I cannot get internet connectivity on any of them.

I've performed numerous reboot, power cycle and factory resets, nvram clearances etc on Asus and ipconfig/release/renew on pc - no joy.

[I also have an Asus N66U router and tried it out the same way - same result.]

At the moment I've the AC68U working in AP mode to handle all wireless traffic and that's fine.

However, I have a Synology NAS and an IP Camera that are now pretty useless as there is no port forwarding option on the Hub 3 and I haven't yet gone near DDNS issues !  I thought that these are all pretty much standard on modern ISP boxes !

Both routers worked perfectly with a bridged Vodafone modem prior to this.

Does the fact that I am seeing a WAN IP address on the routers mean that the problem lies with the router configuration ?

I see other have been able to get Asus routers working but I suspect that the Hub 3 that i have may be buggy or still "a work in progress" ?

The AC68U is running on Merlin 378.56_2 and the Hub is on Docsis 3; H/Ware Ver 4.01 and S/Ware Ver CH7465LG-NCIP-4.50.18.20-3-NOSH.

I'm working with Windows 10 but have dual boot with Windows 7.  I've tried setup in both environments

I would really appreciate any advice or ideas to try out.  Many thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 and Asus Router not connecting

Do the following
https://web.archive.org/web/20120618023954/http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/selfcare/cable-m...

If you still can't get it to work do the following above with the super hub in modem mode and connect a PC to the modem mode port when this works copy the PC NIC MAC to your router then connect that to the modem mode port.

0 Kudos
tim11pop
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just regarding the Synology NAS, I have one of these and have the port forwarding working correctly, the Synology will actually connect to the Hub 3 and will automatically set the correct port forwarding rules.

You just need to tell it to do this within the Synology web interface side.
0 Kudos

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Do the following
https://web.archive.org/web/20120618023954/http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/selfcare/cable-m...

If you still can't get it to work do the following above with the super hub in modem mode and connect a PC to the modem mode port when this works copy the PC NIC MAC to your router then connect that to the modem mode port.

0 Kudos
ryancool
Joining in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I very much appreciate your reply and it is something I would not have been aware of before now.

The grandkids are running a few Netflix streams at present and they are even harder to troubleshoot !  So I'll wait until later tonight to try it out. 

I'll let you know how I get on.  It looks promising, thanks

0 Kudos
tim11pop
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just regarding the Synology NAS, I have one of these and have the port forwarding working correctly, the Synology will actually connect to the Hub 3 and will automatically set the correct port forwarding rules.

You just need to tell it to do this within the Synology web interface side.
0 Kudos
ryancool
Joining in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Great thanks - will do.

0 Kudos
ryancool
Joining in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I tried the steps you suggested and I feel we are in the right area.

When I connected my PC to the Hub3 in modem mode I got a stable internet connection.  I had limited functionality (probably DNS issue) but I was able to access google search and perform a speed test.  All fine.

However, my router still cannot get an internet connection.  I cloned the PC NIC MAC (automatic) on the router and, when that did not work, I added my PC Hostname in the space provided.  No joy !

However, in all cases my router reports a WAN connection and WAN IP - just no internet connection.

All this suggests that internet access is specifically tied to my PC MAC and/or other unspecified identifiers.  The policy in that regard may be different here in the ROI form your situation.  VM telephone tech support don't seem to operate at that level of detail and their suggestion was that I contact a premium telephone technical service. I don't see why that should be be necessary at this stage. 

I know it is my responsibility to manage the router but I need to know if other identifiers are required for a successful "handshake" 

If this forum is monitored by VM I'd be glad if they would advise if this is the case, or at least put me on the right track, please. 

Regards and many thanks for your advice which I feel has pointed me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

ryancool wrote:

However, in all cases my router reports a WAN connection and WAN IP - just no internet connection.

You likely changed something in your Asus Router to stopped it from working so reset your Asus Router that will likely work. If not copy your Asus Router WAN MAC (make such its the WAN MAC) to your PC NIC and connect your PC to the modem mode port which should give you internet then connect the Asus Router to the modem mode port the whole time you do this the super hub should be in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I run an ASUS RT-AC68U in modem mode on a Hub 3. I have stock firmware, though.

So either Legacy is right and you've scrambled the ASUS settings somehow, or there is something about the Merlin firmware that sufficiently differs from my stock firmware. Are yoiu prepared to go back to basics and reset the ASUS to factory defaults and work forward from default settings?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
ryancool
Joining in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I'll try the reverse MAC cloning thanks but I have also been unable to connect an Asus rt-n66u - so both would have had to be screwed up.  Not impossible I suppose, just less likely.

I've done factory reset on the ac68u already but that does not affect the firmware.  However, I can also download and install earlier stock version from Asus  - what version works for you Sephirot ?

Again, many thanks for help and advice everyone

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I'm on a train so cannot give you the stock firmware version. But it is the latest updated last week.

The MAC cloning is unlikely to produce a result.

Just a small point, the correct sequence for connecting in modem mode is:
Hub off
Router on and stable
Hub on - it finds a ready router.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos