Menu
Jaydun
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Wifi Slower than Hub 2

I Recently upgraded to the 150M Vivid Broadband Service and using Speedtest I get a ping of around 11ms, download of 150/160M and upload of around 10M on my pic that is wire connect to the Hub.

My WiFi Speed download from the Superhub 3 rarely gets over 40M on the 5GHz frequency and around half that on the 2GHz frequency. This is with the iPad or iPhone sat adjacent to the router.

i have tried several other devices including android phones and laptops all of which give similar wifi results.

This is considerably slower than the Hub 2 that this replaced.

Virgin have sent out an engineer but they said there was no problem with the router.

i know that there is an oversubscription problem in the area and Virgin are compensating me for this (due to be fixed in May, the village has been waiting since before Xmas for this to be sorted but that's another matter).

Would this effect the speed of the Wifi Only?

But surely if I'm seeing 150/160M on the PC I should get something better than 40M across the wifi?

Previously With the Hub 2 I would see around 100M across Wifi.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Wifi Slower than Hub 2

Morning Jaydun,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the wireless speeds.

In regards to the high peak time traffic fault, this will cause slow speeds during peak hours, however you are getting full speeds on the PC which would suggest an issue with just the wireless.

Have you tried to change the wireless channel at all? As there could be interference within the property that could be causing an impact.

Try this and let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jaydun
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Samantha

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have changed channel and the engineer from virgin did this as well.

When you do this you may see an increase in speed over the wifi for the first or second test using Ookla NetSpeed but then further testing shows the speed has fallen back to the usual 30/40M

Engineer told me there was little interference where I live (quite a rural area).

Didn't have this issue with the Hub 2 so am suspecting it's the new Hub I have but engineer said it was ok.

(He came about week ago)

Regards
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Jaydun,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Apologies again for the problems you're having with your connection. With regards to the wireless channel, you might need to try them all to work out the one that performs best in your environment. I don't suppose you still have your previous Hub? If so it might be an option to re-activate it if you feel that would improve your situation.

Speak with you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jaydun
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Heather,

Thank you for you reply.

I've tried all the channels and the issues remains. It will perhaps speed up momentarily but then returns to 30/40M

Hub 2 was returned when Hub 3 was installed, so unfortunately that's not an option.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the broadband over subscription issues that have been on going in the area since the end of last year.

Rather disillusioned with VM at the moment, have been an advocate for cable for nearly 20 years and unfortunately I could not recommend the current offering to anyone.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oversubscription would affect both wired and wireless at the same times of day.

Channel clashes, interference and Shub location & orientation would affect wifi only.

A free wifi analyser app would enable you to check channel levels and clashes.
0 Kudos