Menu
Jay2jay99
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Wi-fi keeps disconnecting and some lan devices missing

Hello!
I recently moved from BT infinity to Virgin Media Vivid 300, I changed nothing to my network in the swap over, just removed the old BT hub and swapped the lan cables to the new VM 3.0 hub.
My issue is multiple devices just don’t appear on my network and the Wi-fi is extremely intermittent.
Now my wired network is a bit vast, it’s grown over time and is a little messy but was working ok on BT (although I did need to change some devices to static IP’s as there were too many using DHCP, not sure if this is a similar issue) On my network I have a couple of laptops, a PC, a printer, 2x NAS boxes, 2x TV’s, a couple of phones, Philips Hue hub and bulbs, Hive hub and sensors, 6x speaker Sonos, a set of smart light switches and their hub and an Xbox.

The Philips Hue is connected next to the hub, this works, then I have two cables going under the floor through to the next room and to the cupboard under the stairs. From here they connect to 2x switches and and it goes everywhere from there around the house (I’ve asked for a label printer from Christmas so I can track my cables :-) )

I don’t know if it’s the number of devices using DHCP’s, the two 8 port Netgear switches, the cables, the hub firmware....

Any help would be gratefully received!

Jason.
0 Kudos
Jay2jay99
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Wi-fi keeps disconnecting and some lan devices missing

Ok, I managed to fix it...for one day! I thought I’d investigate the DHCP settings, I changed the range starting 192.168.0.10 to start 192.168.0.90 and everything sprang to life instantly. But the following evening while listening to music on the sonos it stoped and everything is disconnected again. I’m going to have to investigate further....
0 Kudos
Jay2jay99
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep, fixed it again, I set the DHCP range to start from 192.168.0.100 this time..... what’s going on? why do I keep having to change the DHCP range to get everything to work...? I’d love to hear from a Virgin member of staff to see what they think.
0 Kudos
Jay2jay99
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another day and need to change it to a range starting 192.168.0.110 to get it to work.
0 Kudos
Jay2jay99
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Only lasted about 12 hours this time, I managed to get the network to come back up by changing the DHCP starting point down to 192.168.0.60 this time.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing the DHCP range will have no effect on wireless connections. All you are doing is refreshing the connections, just like a reboot will do.

It will be impossible to offer specific advise on a large network without knowing the details of the infrastructure.

I would check if there is only one DHCP server on the network.

I take it the hub is in a central, open position away from obstacles and electrical devices.

First of all I would check your wireless environment for possible sources of Interference. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

I would be minful that the hub can oly talk to one wireless client at a time, so the more wireless clients you have connected to a network the more chances of collisions where two devices try and talk to the router at the same time. Personally, I think around 12 wireless clients or more conected to the hub, coliisions start to become likely. Spreading the load between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks may help or additional Access points.

0 Kudos
Jay2jay99
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply, my wireless seems mostly ok now, I’ll try some of the things you suggested to see if I can improve it but nothing has changed in my environment or infrastructure apart from going from a BT infinity hub (which worked fine) to a super hub 3.0.

The main issue is LAN connections, once or twice a day everything that is connected via an Ethernet cable loses its connection, the only way I have found of re-instating their connections is to log on to the hub, changing the DHCP starting IP, clicking apply and then waiting 5 minutes, works every time but is for a pain for obvious reasons.
0 Kudos