Menu
acpsd775
Joining in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 WPA stupid requirement

Hi i don't know if this is a bug or whether its something stupidly put in on purpose

Just got a SH3 and when i try to customise my wifi settings to my own and put my own password in i get 

The password you typed does not meet the requirements. Please click on help for more information.

now it says on the website

The minimum criteria for the WiFi password is:

• 10 characters long
  • Must include 1 or 2 upper case letters
  • Must include 1 or 2 numbers
  • Must not have 8 lower case letters in a row

my password i want to use is as follow XxxxxxX@000

Obviously i have real numbers / chars / letters this is just to represent how its set out it obviously meets those requirements its also not a common easy to guess password, its just on ive used and prefer to use yet it still wont let me have it,

i've resorted to just leaving it open which isn't ideal but its just easier at the moment because i can't be bothered reading a key out for every person who enters my home something that looks like i headbutted my keyboard to get, 

i understand it makes it harder to crack but its my network and i want it set up how i want 

so is this something on purpose or something that's going to be fixed in future firmware 

Tags (4)
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 WPA stupid requirement

Hi Acpsd775,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the passphrase on the hub. This is a security feature and as a rule needed to be updated for the latest version.

We are always looking to update and improve our services and the rules for the wireless passphrase are due to updated in future.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
CuriousGeorge
Tuning in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

So I just received my new hub. It won't let me have the password I want. Guess who's cancelling the package and sending it all back.

zid
Just joined
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Bump. New virgin install today. Once I saw that I immediately put it into modem mode and am using my crappy 15 year old linksys, no gigE or 5GHz but it's still somehow got better features. It's still crappy in modem mode, but at least I don't have to tell all my guests a new password I'll never be able to say out-loud.

0 Kudos
CuriousGeorge
Tuning in
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

You are allowed 1 or 2 uppercase, but no more than that, and 1 or 2 digits, but no more than that. You cannot use any characters other than alphanumeric. The programmers for this retarded nonsense should be fired. You NEVER limit passwords.

CuriousGeorge
Tuning in
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Just look at what passwords are acceptable:

TwoCaps99x is acceptable

TwoCaps99x9 is not acceptable

TwoCaps99xX is not acceptable

The programmers have taken the phrase "must have two upper case and two digits" literally: you can't have three of either, EVEN if it makes your password stronger and harder to guess. How moronic!

0 Kudos
CuriousGeorge
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

And that's annoying, because every hacker now knows that any WIFI password I choose is NOT going to have more than two uppercase letters or more than two numbers, or any non-alphanumeric characters, and that makes my password so much easier to crack. If this is a "security feature" for the "latest version" as stated above, then your security features monumentally suck.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

CuriousGeorge wrote:

And that's annoying, because every hacker now knows that any WIFI password I choose is NOT going to have more than two uppercase letters or more than two numbers, or any non-alphanumeric characters, and that makes my password so much easier to crack. If this is a "security feature" for the "latest version" as stated above, then your security features monumentally suck.

Genuinely interested to see your mathematical proof of that statement but have you actually attempted to use greater than 31 character string length at all? (You'll need to state your firmware version as this did introduce some changes which may not yet be reflected in the version you have?).

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
thekelly
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

The password validation on the super hub 3.0 is *very* bad. And inaccurately described by the help system. I created a password which met the stated requirements, but which would not validate. For example, the rule "no more than 8 lower case characters in a row"  as well as being inane, is actually enforced as "no more than 6 lower case characters in a row". So you can watch a password validated as "good" turn to "insufficient" as you type extra characters - anyone who knows anything about password cracking will tell you that adding characters does not generally make a password less secure. Please fix this in an update, and apply some sensible rules - minimum length, mix of upper and lower case characters, at least one number. Can you find a single secure system that has the kind of absurd limitations of the Hub 3.0? And as another poster on this thread has pointed out, by limiting the number of capital letters and numbers in a password, you reduce the password space and make it easier to crack. So the security rules are actually enforcing less-secure passwords. 

thekelly
Joining in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I don't have a formal mathematical proof for you, but restricting the number of occurrences of particular character classes reduces the number of permutations available in any length of string, meaning it is easier to brute force. Whether it makes a big difference in practical terms is arguable, but it certainly isn't making the password "more secure" as Virgin are claiming. 

0 Kudos