Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Giving Less Than 20Mbs Download Speed???

I am currently on an "Up to 200Mbs speed" cable connection with my Hub 3 as I have the accompanying V6 (which is working fine, by the way) package.

When my Hub 3 was installed around mid December'16, it was producing the speeds highlighted below, by the blue square:

VM Speed Test 5G iPad.JPG

However, last night, I thought I would retest my connection and did 3 further speed tests and as you can see by the red square highlighted results above, the scores are PITIFUL Smiley SurprisedSmiley FrustratedSmiley Sad   THREE RESULTS SHOWING LESS THAN 20MBS DOWNLOAD?????

I then decided to check the Service Status in case there were any reported issues in my area (CR2 9DQ) but no issues were showing!?!

I can't understand why my 200Mbs cable connection would suddenly drop to less than 20Mbs - it makes NO sense (unless my Hub 3 has developed a fault)?! All connected wifi devices to the Hub 3 continued to function properly so its not as if I have lost internet - I haven't....

This morning, I decided to make one more test, just in case last night's scores were a blip, and weirdly, the speeds were back up to around 150Mbs (ok, so not up to the max of 200Mbs but it least that was close enough!)....?!?! Smiley Frustrated 

All speeds tests were done over wifi on an iPad Air 2, standing literally 1ft away from the Hub!

Can somebody please explain what is going on - do I have a fault (if so, can a VM tech, remotely check my Hub to see it is showing any faults)? Or was it just a blip?!?!

Confused?!?!?!

Smiley Frustrated

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Giving Less Than 20Mbs Download Speed???

Sounds like congestion at peak times
0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

jb66 wrote:
Sounds like congestion at peak times

...ok, I get the whole "congestion" thing, if that is even the issue, however, how can this cut my speed from 200Mbs to less than 20??? That's ridiculous..........

Smiley Frustrated

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

i dont need to tell you wifi is not the test to do so test it wired - further post the levels from the hub 3 - it may well be utilisation and VM - when they get here will confirm or not - but get the other stuff out of the way

Tony
0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

-tony- wrote:

i dont need to tell you wifi is not the test to do so test it wired - further post the levels from the hub 3 - it may well be utilisation and VM - when they get here will confirm or not - but get the other stuff out of the way

...ok, will do further wired tests tonight and note down levels, and will post here.

deans6571
Super solver
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

-tony- wrote:

...right, I've just this minute done a wired Speed Test from my laptop, connected directly to the Hub 3 and it is STILL giving me a PITIFUL score (worse than over WiFi?!?!?) :

10.96Mbs Download / 12.26Mbs Upload.

Smiley Sad

I've taken the following screen grabs from my Hub 3 as unsure what I should be posting:

Downstream images

Virgin Downstream 1.JPGVirgin Downstream 2.JPG

Upstream Image

Virgin Upstream.JPG

Configuration Images

Virgin Config 1.JPGVirgin Config 2.JPG

Network Logs

Virgin Network 1.JPGVirgin Network 2.JPGVirgin Network 3.JPGVirgin Network 4.JPGVirgin Network 5.JPGVirgin Network 6.JPGVirgin Network 7.JPG

Do I need to post any other info from my Hub 3??

Something is definitely wrong somewhere if I am only managing 10.96Mbs Download on a 200Mbs V6 Connection?!?!?

Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Frustrated

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Your upstream is too high, you need more signal, but you also have congestion at peak times
deans6571
Super solver
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

jb66 wrote:
Your upstream is too high, you need more signal, but you also have congestion at peak times

...apologies, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to networking - how can you tell this from the data I posted? 

Do I now wait for VM to contact me on here to advise further, then?

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The image you posted on the upstream shows 51.5, the maximum it should be is 51, do you have any attenuators or unused splitters?
deans6571
Super solver
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

jb66 wrote:
The image you posted on the upstream shows 51.5, the maximum it should be is 51, do you have any attenuators or unused splitters?

.....if my Upstream shows 51.5, and the maximum should only be 51, that's quite a small margin then - not a big amount, and probably wouldn't make much difference if this was adjusted back to 51, no?

To answer your questions - there is no attenuator on the back of the Hub 3, although, there is one on the back of my V, and no unused splitters (that I am aware of), either.

How can you tell about the network congestion then (just so I know what to look for, next time)?