Menu
keithmac1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 only works with wireless not ethernet cable

Hello everyone, I had Virgin broadband installed last Friday and found, like many others, that I could not get the internet via the Ethernet cable.

I rang the Virgin techies (UK based) and was told that Windows Xp or Vista will not work well with ethernet connections.

I have purchased a wireless adaptor from Amazon and ...my non-wireless desktop is now working fine wirelessly with no cable required

Just wanted to let all know..it cost me £15

Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 only works with wireless not ethernet cable

keithmac1 wrote:

Hello everyone, I had Virgin broadband installed last Friday and found, like many others, that I could not get the internet via the Ethernet cable.

I rang the Virgin techies (UK based) and was told that Windows Xp or Vista will not work well with ethernet connections.

Hi Keith

That is just plain wrong.  Ethernet existed long before Windows XP or Vista and worked just fine with them and even earlier versions of Windows.  I still have an old system running Vista and that works just fine on Ethernet. It sounds like the VM call centre staff don't have scripts that cover troubleshooting Ethernet on those older versions of Windows and have just fobbed you off.  It is fair enough if they don't want to help with older versions of Windows that are no longer supported by Microsoft, but why not just say that instead of telling lies about Ethernet.

Either the hub or the cable is faulty or there is a config issue on your PC. 

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keith

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that the Ethernet connection is not working on the Hub 3.0.

Looking at your connection I can see that you have one device that is currently operating through Ethernet cable.

On your Windows XP and Vista machine this should work with Ethernet into the Hub 3.0. Have you tried another cable to see if that was causing an issue? Tried a different port on the Hub 3.0? 

With the computers does it give you an error message when trying to access the internet through Ethernet cable?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JohnMc_Lpool
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This worked for me:

1. Click on the START MENU and select CONTROL PANEL
  2. Select NETWORK AND INTERNET
  3. Select the NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER
  4. From the Tasks section on the left, select MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTIONS
  5. Right-click the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION icon and select PROPERTIES
  6. From the User Access Control window, click CONTINUE
  7. Select INTERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click the PROPERTIES button. 
  8. Make sure OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY and OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY are selected. 
  9. Click the OK button to close the other open windows. 
  10. Restart the computer. 

hope it helps some of you.

0 Kudos