Menu
RobertT
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 only works with Cat 7 ethernet cable

I upgraded to Hub 3.0 router from an original superhub 2.0 a couple of weeks ago. It works fine on WiFi (getting 220 mbps download / 12 mbps upload), but I am getting major issues with Ethernet connections. After much experimentation I have found it works perfectly over any Cat 7 cable (tested with 20m and 50m cables) but will only run at 100 mbps over Cat 5E or Cat 6. It also works fine through Netgear GS205 gigabit switches providing cat 7 cable is used everywhere.

Even with a 2 metre Cat 6 cable connected straight to the router I only get a 100mbps connection (using SpeedTest).

I have no option but to upgrade all the cabling in the house to Cat 7, including a 50m run under the patio a the log cabin at the end of the garden. This is because the connection is not stable at 100mbps over Cat 5E but keeps turning off for a couple of seconds while it reconsiders whether to retry 1000mbps. I cannot tolerate this behaviour because I run a process every few weeks which needs an uninterrupted connection, otherwise it crashes out.

I called VM technical but they are worse than useless. Their line is "we are not responsible for extensions or third party devices". I asked several times why the router refuses to play properly over cat 5E / cat 6 and kept breaking the internet connection but it was obvious that the guy was following a flow chart and reading from a script. Eventually the call mysteriously dropped... I am sure he didn't hang up on me because that would be terrible customer service. I also asked if they could send me a superhub 2.0AC (which works by all accounts) but apparently that's not possible.

So, to summarise:

1. Why will hub 3.0 not work over cat 5E / cat 6?
2. Why does the router drop the connection at random intervals when in 100mbps mode?
3. Why is there no proper technical information online?
4. Why is the phone technical support so useless?
5. Why have VM moved to a router that doesn't work properly?

I am not the first to have noticed these problems. It is about time VM came clean about the issues, provided information and workarounds and fixed the root causes.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who can shed light on the issues and help with solving them.

On the plus side, 200+mbps is fantastic when it works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 only works with Cat 7 ethernet cable

Well that's a new one on me.  Never heard of a Hub 3 not working with Cat 5 or 6.  I don't have an answer but I shall watch with interest to see if anyone else has experienced this.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
RobertT
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It works with Cat 5E and 6 but not at gigabit speed, just 100mbps. Have you measured download speed or checked the connection speed in any other way?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cat 6 should work for Gigabit speeds which is why it's supplied as part of the Hub 3.0 and V6 kits.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
RobertT
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

All I can say is that this cat 6 cable only gives me 94mbps and this cat 7 cable gives me 220mbps. The hub 3.0 chooses the speed based on line quality tests, so what does it not like about cat 6?

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Where did you get this Cat 6 cable from?

Because I use Cat 5e cables and get a full 1gbps connection with a TP-Link Archer C9 in between and the Hub 3.0 acting in modem mode.

Sounds more than a little strange either way!

Edit: Well that looks like it has the right amount of pairs for a Cat 6 cable, so no idea!

0 Kudos
Andruser
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Because the main difference between those cables seems to be the shielding I'm wondering if you've got some form of interference, and that's upsetting the router?  I'm guessing the Hub 3 is far more sensitive to noise than the SH2 - there's a lot of areas of the Hub 3 that don't seem as thoroughly specified and tested as they might be.  I suspect (since you've got cat 5E, 6 and 7 cable to hand) that you're familiar with the possible causes (baby monitors, cheap fluorescent lights, motors such as central heating pumps, parallel runs with electrical cables, or even overhead power distribution cables).  And you don't have any coiling of the cables could induce crosstalk?

As for the other questions:

Why is there no proper technical information online?  Its a consumer grade device, procured for low cost.  There's no commercial pressure to support more advanced use cases for VM.  You could try contacting Arris, but I guess they'll refer you back to VM.

Why is the phone technical support so useless?  According to Glassdoor.com, a VM tech support agent in India is paid £200-300 a month.  You're not going to get any depth knowledge at that price, just a bored script-reader working unsocial hours.

Why have VM moved to a router that doesn't work properly?  They hope that the greater number of channels will reduce problems of over-subscription compared to SH1 and 2, and Ofcom have been threatening to possibly maybe beat them with wet lettuce if they don't sort it out.  So a bit of a rush deployment that continued despite the Puma-gate complaints.

0 Kudos
RobertT
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

"Hub 3.0 acting in modem mode." ... Exactly. The problem is that the hub 3.0 does not work properly as a router to Ethernet, which is why one workaround is to put it in modem mode and use a better one. Why did you configure it this way?

0 Kudos
RobertT
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

"Because the main difference between those cables seems to be the shielding I'm wondering if you've got some form of interference, and that's upsetting the router?"

To cut out the variables I tested with a 2m cat 6 straight to the hub 3.0. Still won't go gigabit so no point in tests over longer and more interference prone routes (although these also fail of course). Interestingly, cat 7 over any length up to 50m is perfect.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

For clarification, are you getting 100mbps when using the cat 6 cable supplied by Virgin Media? And is this the same speed from all four LAN ports?

0 Kudos