Menu
Johnny_Boy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 - keep or send back?

I got a Superhub 3 as an upgrade from my Superhub 2 yesterday but couldn't get it to work. I just had alternating flashing green light and then going steady with the green arrows flashing then repeat.

I made a couple of calls but the engineers couldn't see anything connecting either. I think the coax connector looks a bit dodgy.

In the end, I had to get the settings put back and restore my Superhub 2. I can't get an engineer around until a week on Friday (first time I'm available and can switch off the router). 

So my question is really is it worthwhile going ahead with it? I get the occasional situation where nothing connects and I have to reboot my SH2 every few weeks or occasionally twice in a week. I get 200+ down and 12 up consistently so will there be any advantage with wireless coverage or are there still too many issues to be ironed out?

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 - keep or send back?

If the superhub is the 2ac version and already supports the faster wifi, then I would throw the Hub3 straight back at virgin, now if you only use it in router mode, it could still give you loads of problems with ping jitter and port forwarding and several other issues, if your a console gamer etc you could be at risk also.
Johnny_Boy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It not the 2ac unfortunately just the standard one.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well if you have all the latest wifi devices, you could benefit from the ac wifi, is wireless something you overly use? I mean if you have things connected by ethernet mainly you probably wouldn't notice too much difference, it really does depend on your internet usage, I had to downgrade to the SH2AC from the Hub3 because of my circumstances meaning I was hit with the modem mode bug where it disconnected from the internet completely every 34 mins, now this is a very specific bug that wouldn't effect the most basic customers, but the ping jitter, port forwarding limitations etc would, if your a gamer, or use more special internet applications, be wary, like I say unless your the most basic of internet users, like the odd google and maybe bbc iplayer then I would avoid the Hub3
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also if you do use modem only mode and have your own router, do not use it, but from what you said I don't think think you do so ponder on the thought I just posted previously
0 Kudos
Johnny_Boy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, it's mostly Apple stuff I have just now (trying to leave the Apple infrastructure gradually) so a lot of it would use ac if it was available including my Windows laptop. Our house has a lot of black spots due to the bricks having a high iron component so I was looking for extra coverage with the 3.0. We do a lot of streaming and my son plays games online but nothing too serious - just FIFA on the Xbox 360 but we stream/download over 600 GB a month most months, a lot of that is Windows, Linux or Apple updates (every apple device is different and has a different build) and the rest mostly Netflix or YouTube.

One thing I found very annoying was the time to load each of the pages in the hub menus with the 3.0 - up to 90 seconds on occasions.

0 Kudos
Johnny_Boy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well 2 engineers turned up on Friday, replaced the hub 3.0 with another one and rewired a lot of the connections including the TiVo and fitted an extra splitter box with power for some reason.

By the time they left 2.5 hours later they had determined there were low power levels in the street and the box was maxing at 30 MBs. A few hours later it got up to the full 200 MBs and worked until Tuesday when there was an outage in our area. Since then t has rebooted constantly, staying up for 5-50 minutes maximum, sometimes just rebooting all the time. I can't get above 3 MBS down but still 12 up. I'd post some info but it rarely stays up long enough to connect.

I have the engineers coming back on Saturday morning and I've told VM I will not be taking another SH 3.0 I want something that I can use like a 2ac or a 2.

These 3.0s should't even be in alpha they are so bad, a slow interface, bug ridden and according to the engineers, there are places that just don't work at all.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Johnny_Boy,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your connection.

How did the appointment go? Is everything working now?

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Johnny_Boy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Turns out there was damage to a cable in the street so had a complete cable run from the box in the street to the house replaced. It was picking up the guy down the roads CB radio and causing too much interference on a channel so causing it to continually reset. Some filters fitted too and both the TiVo picture and broadband have been flawless since.

Still prefer the old interface as this is very slow but good coverage and speed.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad to hear everything has stabilised, if it helps they have now also released the firmware update to fix the modem mode issue on the Hub3 so if you do have any issues or limitations from the Hub at least you can switch to your own without any risks! So good new Smiley Happy