Menu
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 31 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 ethernet switch problem

There are two problems.

1. A product shortcoming or fault, e.g. the SH3 can't handle more than eight devices connected at the same time via ethernet.

2. The documentation of the above - which VM is really poor at doing. Even VM's call centre agents and engineers are too often poorly informed, so how can they help.

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 32 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Roger_Gooner

I agree, and the most frustrating thing is that both your points can be fixed - but just to be clear so I am not misrepresenting what the CS agent told me:  the issue is the SH3 can't handle more than eight devices connected at the same time via ethernet whilst in router mode.  He actually advised anything more than four becomes a problem hence it's best to use a switch via modem mode...  

So on the documentation point you raise - VM really ought to update their marketing of powerline extenders and advise their customers something along the lines of: 

"powerline extenders are great if you can't get a WiFi signal from the SH3, just don't use them to connect more than three WiFi devices, because our really technically advanced SH3 won't be able to cope as it will see all the devices as being  connected via ethernet, and it will just have a meltdown.  We're so proud of our SH3 that it's the only router we provide to our customers, but as we know it's got lots of technical faults which we still haven't fixed, we're happy to advise customers to spend more money buying another router whilst we also increase the cost of our services..."

0 Kudos
whitehoose
Dialled in
Message 33 of 51
Flag for a moderator

If it's just down to a lease problem, depending the hardware you use, you should be able to work round it in a number of ways without splashing any cash,  At worst a couple of quids could solve it.  Switch DHCP off and set up windows internet sharing is the simplest but you need two nics so a usb nic would have to be found.

0 Kudos
mr_ian
Up to speed
Message 34 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I think the SH is underpowered - but it's a mass market device at a price point for the average user.  I don't think you can blame Virgin, but they could be more honest.  All said and done, if they said "if you have more than 8 devices you might want to consider a separate, more powerful router" no-one would complain too much.  They could even "sell" you one and charge an extra £10/month for a year,.

It is frustrating as homes have more and more wireless devices (speakers, TV boxes, etc).  Virgin need to up their game.  200Mb/s is no good if you can't use it!

0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 35 of 51
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3, by and large, is an excellent modem. It falls down as a router/Access Point, you just have to get your own one. Currently running 35+ devices with my Apple AirPort Extreme, mixture of hard wired through Netgear switches and wireless. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 36 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate everyone's comments and I understand the solutions you suggest.  My issue is that VM customers *should not need to buy extra kit* in order to use the VM services being paid for.  If we do, we should be advised in advance.  Otherwise, we certainly shouldn't see annual price increases for services which aren't delivered or fit for purpose.

But there are other posts about that!

0 Kudos
whitehoose
Dialled in
Message 37 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Studio.

As an old tech with 30 years experience who held qualis appropriate to the role I was doing at the time, part time barrack room lawyer who ended up running the it department. who took early retirement when the opportunity presented itself.

I agree and sort of disagree.with your view.  The SH (whatever version) is in truth a vanilla device designed for a vanilla household with vanilla needs.  And as such absolutely agree that the kit VM supply should be fit for purpose.

If you compare it to telephone line (these days) - BT or whoever provide the line - you hang whatever approved device on the line and expect it to work. 

The problem is when we get to the net, the range of kit that classes as "Vanilla" is huge.

PC compatible isn't a phrase many young 'uns have ever heard - and in these days of e-bay kit costing 99p (free postage).  

There's PC, Laptop, slate and phone.  Then there's NAS, switches, powerline etc etc running 7 different versions of android, 4 different versions of windows, iOS plus more versions of linux than you can shake a stick at.

and that's just the tip of the problem.

When I started in the game - it was quite usual, if you were building a homebrew machine get it all together and find that some bits wouldn't play nicely with the others.  The job of the PC producer wasn't as straightforward as it is now (and this was classed as normal) as a corporate tech we ran our own windows update server and updates were only released within the company net 3 (sometimes more) months after microsoft issued them.  And we'd get a new machine to test for a few months to make sure it was stable before it was released.

Now people think inet access is a right like access to oxygen - and worse - in their quest not to learn anything and to pay for nothing - they expect to hang any old tat on the end of the line, in any combination, with no understanding of what it's doing.

And they expect it to work.

Bottom line is - it won't - if you expect it to - sometimes you have to pay a price.

But 2.4 kids and a couple of bits of this year's kit - yes it should do everything you want it to.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 38 of 51
Flag for a moderator

studio_54 wrote:

I appreciate everyone's comments and I understand the solutions you suggest.  My issue is that VM customers *should not need to buy extra kit* in order to use the VM services being paid for.  If we do, we should be advised in advance.  Otherwise, we certainly shouldn't see annual price increases for services which aren't delivered or fit for purpose.

But there are other posts about that!

so you are saying VM should supply a computer, Laptop, TV and mobile phones free with the service.

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 39 of 51
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 40 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Apcyberax

No, of course I'm not. If that's not clear from following what's been said in comments to this post from the beginning then I'll clarify:

Users are experiencing issues with ethernet connectivity via the SH3. That assumes they already have an ethernet-ready device to plug into the hub, otherwise how would they experience the issue?!

My point is simple: VM should make customers aware in advance of known issues requiring them to purchase additional hardware in order that contracted services will be available, and where such an issue only becomes known after the service commences, price increases should be reconsidered.

Do you not think that's reasonable to avoid falling foul of the Consumer Rights Act?
0 Kudos