Menu
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 21 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 ethernet switch problem

As an IT and change engagement professional I believe it's important to gather as much data as possible from as many sources as possible.  Forums are a good starting point (but shouldn't be the only source).

As a commercial manager with six years legal training behind me, I would totally disagree that complaining is a waste of time.  Raise a ticket, get it recorded, and keep a record yourself.  You'll be glad of it later down the line. 

Everyone has a role to play in continual service improvement - that includes us end users!  I'm sure you'll remember all of that from your ITIL training, right?!

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 22 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Seph - please advise how I can obtain a working Hub 3 that will provide me with uninterrupted connectivity.  You seem to be suggesting that the number of people experiencing issues is not that high, so it much just be my bad luck that I've had a few with the same issue.  As I had zero issues with my old Hub 2, and the ONLY thing that has changed is to replace it with the Hub 3, clearly I've just had lots of bad luck with the hardware being provided.

Or perhaps the only option is to reduce my service from 300 to 200 Mbps  and go back to the old Hub 2...

0 Kudos
mr_ian
Dialled in
Message 23 of 51
Flag for a moderator

mr_ian wrote:

It is highly likely that name resolution/NETBIOS/WINS/SMB is working for some devices and not others - and trying to troubleshoot that via a forum is near impossible.  You  can look on far more technical forums than this to find a whole host of solutions - and failure to find the right one - YMMV..

I don't want to get into a prolonged discussion on this one, so....
- complain to Virgin if you want.  Even pay them money for IT support.  They won't fix it (IMHO)
- name resolution has been broken for a long time on Windows.  See above and spend a few hours reading and trying their solutions
- when you've done all that, spend 3 mins to input the IP address for the share and continue your life.....

I can't fix my issue with name resolution.  Many, many IT professionals more experienced than I cannot either (see QNAP fourm, Superuser, etc.).  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.  If it's broken, fix it.  If it can't be fixed, find another solution...

whitehoose
Tuning in
Message 24 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Amen to that mr_i !  Some people think that knowing the theory is all it takes and everything has to be correct come what may.  Then there are those who know how to adapt the theory to make it work, right!

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 25 of 51
Flag for a moderator

studio_54 wrote:

Seph - please advise how I can obtain a working Hub 3 that will provide me with uninterrupted connectivity.  You seem to be suggesting that the number of people experiencing issues is not that high, so it much just be my bad luck that I've had a few with the same issue.  As I had zero issues with my old Hub 2, and the ONLY thing that has changed is to replace it with the Hub 3, clearly I've just had lots of bad luck with the hardware being provided.

Or perhaps the only option is to reduce my service from 300 to 200 Mbps  and go back to the old Hub 2...

Uninterrupted connectivity has a pre-requisite that your circuit is unimpaired and locality utilisation levels are reasonable.

My working life is deeply rooted in networks and WiFi. I’ve lost done the legal stuff and support you entirely on gathering evidence for use at the final push.

If Internet is important to you, then the dumbed down router functions you get with the hub impede exploitation of the Broadband resource.  So, assuming the pre-requisites to have been met, Modem Mode with a decent WiFi router is the answer.  Apart from the cost, complaining about the hub will end.

You mentioned that the move from SH2 to Hub 3 has been problematic. Yes, some have complained about this - though the majority at least stay silent.  VM in its crassness and rush to get the incomplete product out to the field, took away or omitted DHCP range choice; they also screwed up port forwarding; they took it upon themselves to have a common SSID for both bands which can screw all sorts of things up. As there is no real sniff yet of new firmware, nothing can be anticipated on that front.

That said, I haven’t seen any complaints in the forums about the Hub 3 in modem mode, except the odd person worrying that the Puma 6 chip issue is hampering their gaming - not many of those complaints though.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
mr_ian
Dialled in
Message 26 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Well done for your post helping to solve NONE of the OP's problems.  Buying and installing a different router will not solve the problem.  The problem is with the protocols and APIs that are provided via NB/WINS/etc.  And they will never be solved.  Even Apple tried it with "Bonjour" and that was a mess.

Wait 206 more days.  Then May the fourth be with you!!

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 27 of 51
Flag for a moderator

mr_ian - hoping your last post wasn't aimed at me... surprised I find myself wondering, though...

0 Kudos
mr_ian
Dialled in
Message 28 of 51
Flag for a moderator

It was not Smiley Wink  And apologies to anyone if I came across rude.  Just exasperated that - when there is a simple solution - complex solutions that won't even solve the problem are proposed.

Of course the SH is a mass-market product designed to be "plug and pray" and meets most users needs (when the bugs are fixed at least).  If one has complex networking needs then a more sophisticated hub may be needed.  But your needs are not so complex.  I have around 20 devices on my LAN, including VoIP, managed switch, injected PoE devices and a combination of LInux/Windows devices.  The SH works fine, and where it has limitations I can work around them.

Perhaps if they dropped the word "Super" the hub would be more accurately named Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
whitehoose
Tuning in
Message 29 of 51
Flag for a moderator

How about if it was a Virgin Medi-ocre Hub ? These days everyone aims to delight their customers by exceeding everyone's expectations by looking out of the box at the level playing field ... with bells on. Smiley Embarassed

Good just doesn't seem to be good enough these days.

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 30 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Cheers mr_ian

I actually had an interesting call with VM CS earlier after dropouts, and was advised the SH3 can't handle more than eight devices connected at the same time via ethernet (including those on powerline extenders).  Therefore, I was told I should go and buy a new router to use with my SH3 in modem mode.

Whilst this is the most helpful advice I've had in months (as it was acknowledged there's a known problem with the SH3 and ethernet connections dropping) I'm not impressed that VM introduced kit that's not fit for purpose, and advise customers to go and spend more money buying extra kit to fix the problem at the same time as putting up prices...

0 Kudos