Menu
kshaky
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 - Slows PC Startup (Win 7) Severely.

I installed and set up my new Hub 3.0 (Firmware 9.1.116V) just over a week ago, and every time that I start up my PC - including, and since, the very first time after the Hub 3.0 was up and running - it takes absolutely forever to load Windows 7 and my start up programs/applications etc . . . 5-10 mins+, as opposed to less than a minute pre-Hub 3.0, and indeed years before. I have changed/adjusted absolutely nothing in relation to my PC's settings, so there must be a direct correlation with the newly installed Hub 3.0 IMHO. Also, I haven't changed anything in relation to the Hub 3.0 settings either, they are still as per the default installation.

The only 'straw' I can think of grabbing is - has anyone had any issues with running Zone Alarm Extreme Security with the Hub 3.0? . . . don't let this thought divert away from my initial question though . . . this is purely an incidental 'side-thought'. Remember: Pre-Hub = loading and starting up fine / Post-Hub = loading and starting up like a Sloth on Mogadons.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 - Slows PC Startup (Win 7) Severely.

Hello kshaky,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that your PC is running slow since your Hub was installed, is your PC connecting wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable? Do you notice speed reductions on any other devices? Not to latch onto the security settings, but have you temporarily disabled your security system to see if that makes any difference?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
kshaky
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your reply.

A) PC is connecting via an Ethernet cable.

B) Speed reductions on other (Wi-Fi connected) devices is not an issue, and speed on all devices is much better with the Hub 3.0 than it was with the old E08C007 Modem and 'Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router' set up that I previously had in place.

C) I have temporarily disabled Zone Alarm Extreme Security from loading on Start up, and I have been running the Windows Firewall (with the default settings) instead . . . this change has made no difference whatsoever towards improving, or altering, the long Start up loading time

Note: I wasn't too sure what Firewall protection the Hub 3.0 offers, or whether it would provide adequate security levels on its own if it does provide Firewall protection. I'm guessing that most Windows PC customers would be running the Windows Firewall anyway, so is there any known reason and/or issues in doing so, or indeed with running any third party security/firewall/anti-virus programs? I've been using Zone Alarm for many, many, many years, i.e. since using their early free products when I had old 28k and 56k dial-up connections . . . and used to head off and cook dinner while a web page loaded Smiley Wink , and Zone Alarm Extreme Security has never given me any issues, of any description, since I upgraded to that specific product when it was first released . . . although I do accept it can be a bit heavy on CPU resources generally, which I think is 'a given' . . . but it's never been 'an issue'.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey kshaky,

Thanks for such a detailed reply, this certainly is a confusing issue!

With everything you've said in mind, are you able to test your PC in Safe Mode with networking? Doing this will rule out anything on your PC causing the delays. As you've said your other devices are running better with the Hub 3, I think we need to focus on the specific connection to your PC.

Catch you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos