Menu
Highlighted
roblightbody
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 - How do I assign a fixed IP address for my wifi printer?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

I have a wi-fi printer which connects to my hub, but gets a new IP address each time it turns on. I need it to not change.

What are the steps to do this please?  When I try to add it in the DHCP section - reserved IP addresses - it says "Device already in filter list" and I'm then stuck.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3.0 - How do I assign a fixed IP address for my wifi printer?

You can assign a MAC reservation directly if you want to use the currently assigned IP address.

If you need to change the IP address to a different one, Turn off the device then reboot the hub, this should restart the DHCP server and clear the currently assigned IP for the device. You can then enter the device's MAC address and assign it with any available IP address within the DHCP range you want

0 Kudos

All Replies
SonarUK
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Go to DHCP Settings: Change the lease time to 1 day: click apply

Check the IP Lease Table for printer mac address (don't switch your printer on after the expires time or you will have to wait for it again)

Go back to DHCP Reservation and input the printer mac address manually.

Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1e8bSs3
Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1dCNLm0
xBox Support: http://bit.ly/1lE2QrK
Xbox One operating system versions and system updates: http://bit.ly/1NiJS1j

www.twitch.tv/familycreations

0 Kudos
roblightbody
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

I think in summary you're saying leave the printer off until it disappears from the 'connected devices' screen, and then add it before turning it on?

Why do I need to set it to a day (86400, which was the default out of the box).  Can't I set it to something shorter to get it to expire quicker?

Seems very poor compared to routers I've used in the past!

Thanks again,

- Rob

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can assign a MAC reservation directly if you want to use the currently assigned IP address.

If you need to change the IP address to a different one, Turn off the device then reboot the hub, this should restart the DHCP server and clear the currently assigned IP for the device. You can then enter the device's MAC address and assign it with any available IP address within the DHCP range you want

0 Kudos
roblightbody
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You say "You can assign a MAC reservation directly if you want to use the currently assigned IP address" - and thats all I wanted to do, but it wouldn't let me, saying "device already in filter list" and not giving any way of saying "I want this connected device to stay at this IP address.

However when I did as you suggested, and turned it off (with the printer off) and then back on, the printer wasn't in the connected devices list, so it let me add it with a fixed IP address.

Thank you very much for your help.

Definitely more complicated than a £40 Netgear router though!!

lostinlinux
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

iv tried to do this but the instant i start the mac address the router wont accept the first 2 digits  (00) saying they are not valid, but the device is on the network so must be valid (shouldnt it)

furthermore my machine can no longer find the server via its DNS name, anyone got any ideas

Just because no one complains doesn't mean ll parchutes are perfect
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jmkemp
Settling in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had the same issue, it's clearly trying to validate on the fly (a good thing) and it was OK when I finished typing the whole mac in. 

I have to say that I hate the Hub 3.0, it blocks port 25 for no apparent reason and it is really hard to configure. I don't think VM considered the user needs of those using the advanced settings (and why we'd want to use them). Every other router I've had (and there have been many over the years) has pretty much let you edit the connection and reserve the IP. Certainly none of them have required you to turn off the device until the lease expires. It's more than shoddy. 

0 Kudos