Menu
robclarke41
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 DMZ issue

Hi All,

I've moved from BT to Sky to Virgin.

Every time I setup a router I just dump the IP of my Xbox One in the DMZ as I don't fancy messing around with all the ports required.  This has always worked fine but on my Virgin Hub 3.0 I get an error when inputting the Xbox IP saying that it's an invalid IP.  Is this a bug or is my router faulty?

Thanks for any help

Rob

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 DMZ issue

robclarke41 wrote:

Hi All,

Every time I setup a router I just dump the IP of my Xbox One in the DMZ as I don't fancy messing around with all the ports required.  This has always worked fine but on my Virgin Hub 3.0 I get an error when inputting the Xbox IP saying that it's an invalid IP.  Is this a bug or is my router faulty?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Known issue - next question?

Yes fixed in future firmware release - next question?

No - Release date not yet published - next question?

No - they won't swap for SH2/AC - next question?

Why? Because next firmware release due very soon! - next question?

No - unknown whether it will fix that specific issue!  .... 

Bye.....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
robclarke41
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is this a joke? This is the reply i get?

As I'm typing this I currently have no service. The pathetic joke of a router is constantly rebooting and I have no Internet.

Now you tell me that the router can't even handle simple functions like adding a router dmz address without a firmware update??????! What kind of pathetic mickey mouse operation is this?! I'm going back to sky. I guess you pay for what you get and right now I have nothing with virgin. Why oh why didn't I listen to people.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You catch on quick - factual prediction made in a futile witted attempt to make it different from the asinine repetitiveness of answering the same question because users don't have the wit researching the forum first! <grrr>
However that's only your first community answer so apart from being tempted to shoot the messenger (I'm bullet proof so save your ammo! Smiley Tongue ) then wait for an authoritative answer from ForumTeam (RED NAME + RED TITLE + VM siggy/trailer) in 2-4 days.

Oh... pardon my manners - and a warm welcome to the forum!
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

]robclarke41 wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for any help

Rob

Can we fill in the blanks?

The XBox has had an IP address assigned to it and made static in the Hub 3?  [ http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/how-to-Assign-a-Static-IP-Address-to-your-Xbox-One-In-You...

Also might this thread help?  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/xbox-one-strict-nat-with-super-router-3/td-p/2987211

You wouldn't have known this if you've trustingly joined VM just recently but .... The Hub 3 is given to new users.  It is the future proofed device, but its firmware is young.  You have the 88J5 version; I've been through 88S and 88T versions as a formal triallist (though I haven't needed to use DMZ).  So all these bugs will sort themselves out although maybe not as soon as you'd like.

I'll ask the Superuser Community who are Hub 3 triallists if any of them are using the DMZ and get vback to you.

BTW, do please forgive Horsey; he knows his schmitt but has his own way with words as you've noticed!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

.....BTW, do please forgive Horsey; he knows his schmitt but has his own way with words as you've noticed!

Dave - I notice you are apologising for me far more, recently?

I'm starting to get that dreadful premonition that come Xmas this is going to cost me not just a bottle of Scotch (Thanks George, still cheap but why couldn't you do the same for my Armagnac? Smiley Sad ), but two boxes of Thorntons and another bunch of deep red pansies to match your eyes? Smiley Tongue 

Hmmm luv you! xxx

PS: Sorry Dave - 88T and DMZ  still needs PF on my double NAT'd scenario.....   Smiley Sad

Regards Tony
0 Kudos
robclarke41
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to me I guess that makes sense but why are virgin giving a new (obviously untested/non-working) product to new users?

Virgin installed on Tuesday and I still have no Internet. I'm no fan of Sky but I never had problems like this. It's a bit worrying. Can you give me some honest advice? Is it a bad service? Should I look elsewhere now while I can? I rely on the connection for work, kids homework etc so downtime is not acceptable.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

robclarke41 wrote:
I rely on the connection for work, kids homework etc so downtime is not acceptable.

Depends on your risk v cost assessment but likely you should migrate to a VM Business connection and pickup a Hitron Hub after they've flushed the bugs out of that little beauty! Smiley Tongue

Regards Tony
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

robclarke41 wrote:
Thank you for getting back to me I guess that makes sense but why are virgin giving a new (obviously untested/non-working) product to new users?

[SEPH]: It's not quite as bad as that but I can see it from your point of view.  I've been on several hub trials and have been surprised at how soon into the trial period, the device goes on public release.  The Hub 3 in its 88J5 firmware guise was basically functional and delivered the speeds that people were expecting.  But the deeper (if I can put it that way) router functions available in this get-you-going device haven't all come right such as port forwarding, DMZ and one or two others.  The triallists are now on firmware 88T but we are not told when the next iteration with everything fixed will come out.  They know it needs to be soon but "soon" to VM is worse than the London TRansport minute!

Virgin installed on Tuesday and I still have no Internet. I'm no fan of Sky but I never had problems like this. It's a bit worrying. Can you give me some honest advice? Is it a bad service? Should I look elsewhere now while I can? I rely on the connection for work, kids homework etc so downtime is not acceptable.

[SEPH]: The user community, within which I and the other Superusers fall, will always give you straight advice. The VM bods, when they get to your thread, will play a straight bat to analyse any circuit issues, but are constrained by what they can say if, for example, there is a congestion issue in your area and you are pushing for a fix date.

We can triage your connection if you wish. If you go to the Hub 3 home screen via 192.168.0.1 and when it comes up bold, hit the link "Check router status".  The navigate to and copy/paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log pages.  Don't worry about the crap formatting - we can make sense of it.  If there is a circuit issue, it might well show in the data.

Home Screen.png

To check whether you have a contention issue, then do set up a Thinkbroadband.com BQM, the graphic of which quickly exposes a number of potential conditions.

Finally, if broadband is mission critical, which it is for me, consider putting your Hub 3 in modem mode and attaching your own router.  The DMZ and port forwarding type problems go away.  If you have an area contention issue, the VM bods can tell you and then you can cancel because they should have told you that before signing you up.

HTH.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

robclarke41
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help Seph I do appreciate it. I've decided to move back to sky though after less than a week of virgin. I've hardly had an Internet connection at all since Tuesday and the router is a joke. Sky is more expensive but I guess you get what you pay for and I want a quality product/service
0 Kudos