Menu
Ajanni
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 2.4ghz 40mhz only, not working

I just installed my new hub 3.0, all the settings ive wanted are working but, when in try to select 40mhz only on the 2.4ghz band , it just reloads the page and doesnt apply the setting, its currently now on 20/40mhz but all the devices on the 2.4ghz are stuck on 72.2mbps link speed.

How do i fix this?

Also howcomes the ping over the 2.4ghz band is constantly getting 22ms when my ping over wired is 7ms, my previous superhub 2ac had this problem but the superhub 2 i had before that was constantly getting 7-8ms ping over wifi? But webpages load much faster somehow.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3.0 2.4ghz 40mhz only, not working

The Sh2ac if I recall correctly had a 300Mbps mode on the 2.4 Ghz band which is 40Mhz wide channels on two spatial streams. To comply with the WiFi Alliance directive the 40Mhz channel needs to have the ability to fall back to the 20Mhz wide channel, in other words it is 20/40.

There is a good article here on the subject.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ajanni,

I recall that failure to change the channel width setting was on our defects list early in the Hub 3 trial. I sort of assumed it had been fixed but I'll have to find out for certain for you. But it will most certainly be included on a future firmware release, if it's not already. I'll get back to you on that.

I wouldn't worry too much about ping times over Wif-Fi, especially if you're not experiencing any problems. Anyhow I'll find out what I can and get back to you.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Ajanni
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou
0 Kudos
Ajanni
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ive just updated my hub 3.0 to the latest version 9.1.116v but now the 40mhz only option for the 2.4ghz band has disappeared entirely and only have the option to set it to 20mhz or 20/40mhz. Ive tried resetting the hub and restarting it but the option wont come back.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ajanni wrote:

Ive just updated my hub 3.0 to the latest version 9.1.116v but now the 40mhz only option for the 2.4ghz band has disappeared entirely and only have the option to set it to 20mhz or 20/40mhz. Ive tried resetting the hub and restarting it but the option wont come back. 

Then the firmware team chose to remove it rather than fix it (as they should have done so) Cat Sad

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Ajanni
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Howcomes they should have removed it if it halves the throughput available to 2.4ghz devices?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They should have fixed it, not removed it. Removing it is lazy practice "That will take too much time to fix, let's just remove it, we can do that in 2 mins."

If you've ever been in a trial for a new hub, there's one thing you learn fast: the firmware team don't care about general feedback/trialist feedback and they barely care anymore about what the favicon.png Forum Team passes on to them, even when people start complaining. 

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Running the 40Mhz mode on the 2.4Ghz band is generally a bad idea. The 40Mhz channels hogs practically 2/3rds of the available 2.4 Ghz spectrum, making it susceptible to wireless interference from other WiFi networks  and domestic appliances.

The 2.4Ghz band can get quite congested nowadays, so running the 40Mhz channel can impede your wireless connection and others around you. So, if your wireless environment is not completely clean, you will probably not see much of a speed benefit using the 40Mhz channel on the narrow 2.4Ghz band.

The WiFi Alliance will not certify any wireless device that uses the 40Mhz wide channel on the 2.4Ghz band without co-existence mechanisms, meaning that they will not certify 40Mhz only mode without the ability to fall back to the single channel 20Mhz mode, when interference is encountered. Apple devices do not allow the 40Mhz mode at all on the 2.4Ghz band.

So, basically it is not VM it is the 802.11 standard.

The 5Ghz band is much wider, making using 40Mhz wide channels is less problematic.

0 Kudos
Ajanni
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well when it did work on the 2ac, i noticed upto a 2 times speed increase on average at all distances i tested. Also three laptops in the house were able to utilise the full 40mhz so they all benefited . Also even though several other routers had set their 2.4ghz to operate over a 40mhz wide channel and that there are a load of overlapping channels the interference isn't so bad that it degrades the performance to the point that the benefits of running it on 40mhz are completely negated.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Sh2ac if I recall correctly had a 300Mbps mode on the 2.4 Ghz band which is 40Mhz wide channels on two spatial streams. To comply with the WiFi Alliance directive the 40Mhz channel needs to have the ability to fall back to the 20Mhz wide channel, in other words it is 20/40.

There is a good article here on the subject.

0 Kudos