Menu
Robbie3205
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How do get wifi in my garden office?

Hi All,

I'm new to the community but have a question I'm hoping someone can help with.

I have the usual Virgin router set up in the house, from that I've run a cable up to my office the end of the garden. It plugs in to a 5 port Ethernet Switch, which my laptops and printer then plug into

I get a great signal (Ookla speedtest this morning cae back as 208.12 Mbps).

What I would like though is to plug something into it that will give me a wifi signal, so I can get data on my mobiles via wifi rather than 4G.

What I need help with is understanding what the "something" is that I will need ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do get wifi in my garden office?

get one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Universal-Extender-Set-top/dp/B01DCMNQFS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UT...

plug it into your ethernet switch and you will have wi-fi in the shed

0 Kudos
Timwilky
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do get wifi in my garden office?

This is how I supply my garden office

The only similarity is that my wifi link terminates into a wifi router configured as an access point, whereas you terminate your cable  into a switch.

Using the wifi router, it effectively works as a 4 port switch into the office as well as suppling both 2.4 and 5g wifi to the home office. All for about 20 quid. In my case, the router is in the office "loft" space.

I do not recommend "extenders", they sit at the edge of a wifi range and re-transmit, therefore you only get half the effective speed.

0 Kudos