Menu
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How do I rename devices connected wirelessly on my Superhub 2

I can log on to my Superhub 2 and view the various wired and wireless devices that are currently connected to it, but I seem to remember that there is a way to assign more meaningful names to each, so they are easily identifiable as I have quite a few. I have tried each of the 3 icons on the main page of the hub, with no luck so far! Can anyone advise a) if it can be done and b) how to go about doing it?

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I rename devices connected wirelessly on my Superhub 2

Login to the hub then -> Advanced Settings -> DHCP Reservations. You can assign a device a customer name while giving it a static LAN side IP.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Login to the hub then -> Advanced Settings -> DHCP Reservations. You can assign a device a customer name while giving it a static LAN side IP.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelkie, eventually found it under advanced settings, however, I expected it to change the listing of devices to the new name, but it did not do that, it created a new reservation listing with a static IP!

Anyway thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
MarkC52
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Naming a device is unrelated to static IP - I don't want devices to have static IPs on my network - but I do want recognisable names. Whilst I can rename on the Super Hub 3 homepage these settings are lost on a refresh.

Tsar
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Forget about the SH. Use the android app Fing. Much easier and better.

MarkC52
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fing will scan my network but won't name my devices on the Hub - thus when I want to remove other devices I can't because the SH loses the information. 

0 Kudos
pcmanbob
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Device names are supplied to the hub by the device, each device needs to have a individual device name , if you want to change the device name you need to do it on the device not the hub.

for example on how to do it in windows :- https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/change-your-windows-computer-name/

for example on how to do it in android :- http://www.droidviews.com/how-change-phone-name-in-wifi-and-bluetooth-connection-on-samsung-galaxy-d...

0 Kudos