Menu
janner43
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How do I connect a TP Link VR900 to the Superhub 3?

Hi all,

Newbie here!!

I'm struggling with using a TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router 
and connecting it to the Superhub 3. Can someone help me out please?

What I have done...
1.Put the Superhub into modem mode. The Superhub reboots and changes the colour of the LED on the front from white to purple as it should.
2.Connected the TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC1900 via its ethernet WAN connection to the ethernet port on the Superhub closest to the cable.
3.Logged into the TP Link and tried to follow the setup process, but for the life of me, I cannot get the TP Link to connect to the internet.

As I cannot find any step by step setup guides on this process, and yet I read on Amazon reviews that several people are successfully using the TP Link with a Virgin Superhub, I make the assumption that it's straightforward and I'm being thick and missing something obvious.

Can anyone give me a step by step walk though on this please?

Cheers all.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
janner43
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I connect a TP Link VR900 to the Superhub 3?

SOLVED 😎👍🏻

It was me missing the obvious. The TP Link comes configured as a router modem. To use it with the Virgin Superhub it needs to be configured as a wireless router only. So, for anyone else, the steps are as follow..
1.Turn on the TP Link (perform a hard reset via the reset button first if you have been messing around like me)
2.Connect to the wifi point as instructed in the quick setup guide and go through the basic setting of the new admin password and the time settings.
3.Go to the Advanced Tab and look on the left hand side menu for Operation Mode. Select "Wireless Router Mode" and save it. The router will reboot.
4.Connect to the Superhub and place it into modem mode.
5.Power everything off. Superhub and the TP Link and any connected devices (or disconnect them from wifi). Connect the ethernet cable between the WAN port in the back of the TP Link to the ethernet port on the back of the Superhub closest to the coaxial cable.
6.Turn on TP Link, wait until FULLY booted
7.Turn on Superhub, wait FULLY booted and the only light showing in the front of the Superhub is the purple LED
8.Turn on pc, or connect wirelessly to the TP Link via an iPad or whatever.

You should now see everything is working and you can go ahead and configure the TP Link to however you want it.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC1900 is An ADSL \ VDSL modem and not compatable with VM's Docsis network, So, you will not get a WAN connection with the hub in Modem mode..

You could probably configure it to be used as a wireless access point via a LAN to LAN connection with the hub in router mode..

0 Kudos
janner43
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for the reply,

think I understand what you are saying, but not to want to appear arguementative, there are three reviews on Amazon for the VR900 that say it can be used in the way I was attempting to use it, so am I missing something... To quote:

"

I was looking for a powerful wireless router to replace the terrible Virgin Superhub router. I decided to go for the Archer vr900, although the C9 or D9 would have done the job as well. The advantage of the vr900 is that it can handle absolutely all possible connection types, including LTE!

The design of the router is nothing to be ashamed of and it is certainly the best looking router out there (in opposition to the ugly black boxes from other manufacturers). It can stand proudly on a shelf or on a small table without ruining your home interior...

The build quality is fine, it is much lighter than expected, as I thought the gray parts for the frame would be made out of metal. It's all made out of plastic actually. Not the best for stability.

The installation with my Superhub (set to modem mode) was supposed to be easy, however I encountered problems to automatically get an IP and the DNS server addresses from Virgin. The lack of instructions didn't help either... After a couple hours of tinkering, I found out the Superhub, the router and the computer must be turned on in a very specific sequence to get an IP from Virgin (to prevent MAC address issues).

1. Turn off everything
2. Turn on router, wait until done
3. Turn on Superhub, wait until done
4. Turn on the pc

Failing to follow this sequence might prevent the router from getting an IP.

After that, everything was finally set. The router has a great Web UI, clear and full of features (at least compared to the Superhub...). It misses a proper QoS system though.

Performance-wise, I'm very satisfied with it, I can finally get my full Internet speed with 2.4 Ghz (and 5 Ghz obviously). Behind 3 thick stone walls, at 12m, I still get 30 Mbps in 5 Ghz, whereas my Superhub could only manage 1 to 5 Mbps! I can also send files over WiFi to my cloud network drive at nearly 55 MB per second (5 Ghz) which is more than double the speed my Superhub could achieve.

So far, after a week, everything has been very stable, not a single signal drop (my Superhub had constant issues), no DHCP problems, and my WiFi printer finally work properly as expected.

Excellent device, though I wished the documentation provided was more detailed and that the TP-link website would have had dedicated step by step tutorials for each ISP to prevent unnecessary tinkering.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are correct, I missed the EWAN port.

Glad you have sorted it out with a power cycle.

0 Kudos
janner43
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No I haven't sorted it out. That was the review posted on Amazon.

It was that review that I tried to follow, but I cannot get a connection.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When setting it up via the EWAN port does what WAN options come up? All that really needs doing is to Set the WAN address to dynamic.

The power cycle mentioned above looks like it is in the wrong order.

Usually the modem (Hub in modem mode) should be powered on before the router. Once the modem has gone through the registration process and obtained a WAN address the router can be powered on. Again let the router settle down before connecting any devices.

0 Kudos
janner43
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SOLVED 😎👍🏻

It was me missing the obvious. The TP Link comes configured as a router modem. To use it with the Virgin Superhub it needs to be configured as a wireless router only. So, for anyone else, the steps are as follow..
1.Turn on the TP Link (perform a hard reset via the reset button first if you have been messing around like me)
2.Connect to the wifi point as instructed in the quick setup guide and go through the basic setting of the new admin password and the time settings.
3.Go to the Advanced Tab and look on the left hand side menu for Operation Mode. Select "Wireless Router Mode" and save it. The router will reboot.
4.Connect to the Superhub and place it into modem mode.
5.Power everything off. Superhub and the TP Link and any connected devices (or disconnect them from wifi). Connect the ethernet cable between the WAN port in the back of the TP Link to the ethernet port on the back of the Superhub closest to the coaxial cable.
6.Turn on TP Link, wait until FULLY booted
7.Turn on Superhub, wait FULLY booted and the only light showing in the front of the Superhub is the purple LED
8.Turn on pc, or connect wirelessly to the TP Link via an iPad or whatever.

You should now see everything is working and you can go ahead and configure the TP Link to however you want it.

0 Kudos