Menu
Jg83
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How deep should the cable from the street to the house be buried?

I've just discovered whilst planting a fruit tree in the front garden that ours is only a few cm below the surface and has no protection at all. Having just put a spade straight through it and cut off the services I'm wondering if I will be charged for an engineer's visit or whether there is a case for it not having been installed correctly in the first place? Also, how do I go about arranging for an engineer to replace the cable?
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How deep should the cable from the street to the house be buried?

hiya @Jg83 cable should be at least a few feet down, to get the cable replaced might require a repull, having the cable replaced from street to property this is normally a 2 man job, and can have a bit of a wait normally a few weeks especially due to time of year, to get this arranged best having a chat with customer services via 150 / 0345 454 1111 since it will be a few days for the forum admin to pick this up.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
andykinsey
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How deep should the cable from the street to the house be buried?

Ours too is just a few CM, its not unusual and is likely not the same everywhere as different vendors had different requirements before Virgin came into being. Also its not always possible to do that not least as unless they have a map of say electricity cables under your garden, why would they risk it.

In my experience if you've sliced it they should be able to repair the two connections and not need to do a full replace/pull - they basically join the two with a connector and put in a waterproof gel and case. My advice would be if you are going to be gardening and may come across the wire again it may be worth asking if they can join a larger length to the box on/in your house, coil it outside and then when you get time you can dig a small trench and ensure its deep enough. In part of our garden its on the surface over the flowerbed to ensure we don't hit it!

0 Kudos