Menu
Ennda
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How and where to change password and SSID on the SuperHub

I'm using a Mac OSX 10.9.5 and have a Super Hub router. I've never changed the SSID or pass phrase which are printed on the hub and don't know where to do this. This is probably why, when I turn WiFi on, I can't find any networks that show my Super Hub details.  I'm also trying to connect a Kindle to the WiFi of my Mac but again, I can't connect to any of the networks that show up on the Kindle screen. Does Virgin Media work with Kindle?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How and where to change password and SSID on the SuperHub

Browse to   

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&CURRENT_CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&...

and select the modem that you have.  Then navigate to the Wireless Network Settings section and it will become obvious.

There are no known problems with Kindle.  After you've configured stuff, try the Kindle again and let us know in detail what happens.  Like what you see on the Kindle before connecting; what you try to do to connect; what is reported if it doesn't connect.

You mentioned in your post that your MAC doesn't see the default Superhub SSID; well it should.  So perhaps a bit more information on what you do see would help.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Ennda
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Seph, but I've done all of the above which you suggest and it didn't work because the Super Hub web Sign In doesn't recognise the default password (changeme) which is printed on the back of the Hub. I've tried repeatedly with no success. I also looked up this problem via Google and many people  have said the same: the default password is not recognised on the Super Hub website page Sign In.

Also, on my Kindle, if I click on the option "Virgin Media" in the list of networks that comes up for WiFi connection, and then enter the default Super Hub password as above (changeme) this is also not recognised.

I've also tried connecting the Kindle to WiFi in a cafe with WiFi access but that didn't work either: Kindle didn't recognise the cafe's password. I then went back to John Lewis (where I originally bought the Kindle) and in the Tech dept. a salesman explained that Kindle's WiFi access doesn't work in cafes etc but only on home computers. You can read books etc. anywhere, once you've downloaded them to Kindle via the WiFi on your computer, but the actual WiFi connection has to be first from a computer. So I'm stuck!

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ennda wrote:

Thanks Seph, but I've done all of the above which you suggest and it didn't work because the Super Hub web Sign In doesn't recognise the default password (changeme) which is printed on the back of the Hub. I've tried repeatedly with no success. I also looked up this problem via Google and many people  have said the same: the default password is not recognised on the Super Hub website page Sign In.

[SEPH]: If you've factory reset the SH then it should recognise the default sign-in code.  That said, a factory reset with a paper clip or whatever can be a mission.  Best way to know if the factory reset is in force is, with the SH switcxhed on, press and hold the clip in until the blue lights go out; then it'll reboot as a default device.  It can take 30 secs or more of holding the clip in.  It's a bugger.  When iot comes back, it may try to update firmware because it might have gone back to day 1 firmware.  Let it do that before signing in again.

Also, on my Kindle, if I click on the option "Virgin Media" in the list of networks that comes up for WiFi connection, and then enter the default Super Hub password as above (changeme) this is also not recognised.

[SEPH]: "Virgin Media" is the public WiFi SSID, not that of your own private wireless network.  That's another story of how to get into that.  I've used my iPhone on the London Underground so it'll automatically allow me on "Virgin Media".  When I first went onto that, I was asked to enter my account details.  I'm not sure how it would treat a Kindle - though you've got the answer to that in your paragraph below.  But in any case, at home you are not trying to connect to your wireless LAN - UNLESS you had previously changed the SSID to "Virgin Media"!

I've also tried connecting the Kindle to WiFi in a cafe with WiFi access but that didn't work either: Kindle didn't recognise the cafe's password. I then went back to John Lewis (where I originally bought the Kindle) and in the Tech dept. a salesman explained that Kindle's WiFi access doesn't work in cafes etc but only on home computers. You can read books etc. anywhere, once you've downloaded them to Kindle via the WiFi on your computer, but the actual WiFi connection has to be first from a computer. So I'm stuck!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Ennda
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The problem has now been resolved, but only after long phone and online chat with both Virgin and Amazon. In the end, the solution came from the Amazon Kindle help line, which talked me through re-setting the Virgin Super Hub, then registered the Kindle for me when it was impossible to do so on the Kindle itself. It was all a huge pain in the posterior but now all seems to be working. Am keeping fingers crossed.

0 Kudos