Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 10 (145 Views)

High packet loss making connection useless

Seemingly a common complaint among people that use virgin connections for gaming. I had been having a fine connection since I recently got my hub installed and had no complaints until now, having recently come back from holiday to a busted connection and a letter explaining how my bill is going up.

After much headscratching I've narrowed down the problem with the connection being packet loss and a quick google search shows up a lot of people that have had a lot of the same problems and the vast majority of them seem to have unsatisfactory results from any attempt to fix it, which doesn't give me much hope.

I've attached a tracert of a server I used to be able to connect to with no issues bar a little bit of delay (which is understandable as it's a server based in the United States) but now due to the packet loss it's 100% impossible to use my connection on that server.

It's not just limited to distant servers however, just far more noticeable.

connection.PNG

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 10 (123 Views)

Re: High packet loss making connection useless

Capture.PNG

Here's a quick look at what my packet loss is looking like right now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 10 (105 Views)

Welcome to the forum,

While we await an authoritative response from ForumTeam (5-9 days) then it might be useful to post some basics in meantime?:

1. Your provisioned Tier (eg V200Gamer ?) 
  2. The specific (Super)Hub (which I suspect is still a Hub3.0)
  3. Your approx location (redact last char on post code to comply with forum T&C's/Privacy) . eg I'm BN37N_  in Brighton but you appear to be provisioned on Thor6 CMTS which I suspect is way up North?
  4. Post Downstream,Upstream (not Burst Profile) stats and Network Log  which depending on actual Hub can typically be obtained via 192.168.0.1(RouterMode) - RouterStatus (no need to Sign in)  or 192.168.100.1 in ModemMode.
  5. Post another TBB/BQM as I wouldn't typically expect that Packet Loss via ICMP  even on SH3/Hub3/VMDG505 unless you had issues with your local power/signal levels (despite Puma6/Intel latency issue), or your cable segment/node was being currently upgraded with additional "channels". However running both 5min ICMP and TCPTrace from my end indicates  possible SNR/FEC issues on your cable segment.

Post again if you need further clarification or queries but little early to discuss "options/solutions" until we see your stats and/or ForumTeam have checked your status remotely!

Good luck 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 10 (96 Views)

1. I currently pay for the rolling contract VIVID 200 broadband by itself.
2. It's a hub 3.0 that was installed a few months ago
3. G43 1H, which is in Glasgow, so yeah, up north connection3.PNG

Thanks for the response, if I need to post anything else just mention it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 10 (93 Views)

[ Edited ]

CaptCthulhu wrote:
.....Thanks for the response, if I need to post anything else just mention it.

Thanks for confirmation, but you haven't yet posted ALL OF ITEM4 viz .   Downstream stats (I suspect you are/were still on 8/10 Downstream channels and they've now been increased to 16/20/24? ), Upstream and Network Log.  

You'll have to select and screen print,scroll print each in turn or screen scrape etc 

Screenshot 2017-08-13 10.15.27.png

eg 

We need complete info on ALL Downstream and Upstream channels and all ~20 records of the Network Log|
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 10 (73 Views)

ds1.PNGds3.PNGds4.PNG

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 10 (72 Views)

ds5.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 10 (65 Views)

OK I've got bored now waiting for the Network Log so as the Downstream is running hot and Upstream is a tad chilly then I suspect you're not on an optimal Tap (and possibly fairly close to Street Cab?). That should be obvious enough even for offshore Level1 to book you a Tech Visit - However......

It's possible that Networks may be "playing - aligning amp chain" or thermal compensation may drop(flakey) the level on colder day so the issue may heal up and/or the tech visit may be auto cancelled - so if they book a tech then ring up (as late as possible BUT) BEFORE you commit time off work/whatever to check if visit still pending. Forum Team will respond anyway (eventually) to make sure problem either fixed or to re-check your hub remotely and or any known Network issues/maintenance.

Good luck

Regards Tony
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10 (52 Views)

[ Edited ]

This seems to be a Glasgow wide issue, take a look at my BQM from G46.  Totally useless for anything that is latency sensitive. VOIP, gaming etc...

virgin.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 10 (32 Views)

Md0h wrote:

This seems to be a Glasgow wide issue, take a look at my BQM from G46.  ..... 

If you can post your CMTS/HOST from the reverse DNS of your IP address (eg -THORnn-) then that could be helpful depending on topology of how various nodes/cable segments are configured.

Regards Tony
0 Kudos