Menu
julie2017
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Having wifi issues

Hi i have been having the same problem with my internet for years and virgin can never seem to solve my problem after asking them plenty of times. I don't know much about computers so having trouble trying to sort it myself so bare with me.

My wireless signal always ranges from 1-75 mbps and changes every minute i can never get a steady reading. When i am on my computer (Hard wired) i get 75mbps with11 ping 5.0 upload consistently. My router is upstairs in the spare room where my computer is hard wired i also have 2 xbox ones and 2 PS4 consoles and 2 phones all wireless. Only 2 of us use the consoles so they're not all used at once maybe 2 at a time i would say.

We always get lag when gaming especially Fifa/COD. When i do an internet test on my xbox one it gives me 1-70 MBPS 4-5 upload 11-20 ping and 170-80 latency. Our nat type is often Open but sometimes can change to strict but we just reset the router when that happens. Recently we keep getting signed out of xbox randomly and takes awhile to sign back in and i know it's not the console as i got a new xbox one recently and still the same so can't be that.

Can anybody help point out what the problem could be we have had plenty of hubs (We have the new Superhub) and engineers come out to look but always the same outcome.

Thanks for reading

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having wifi issues

if you are getting good speeds when wired then it will be the wireless signal. No ISP can guarantee a wireless signal as it can be affected by external factors outside your and the ISP control **bleep** as build of the house and other wireless interference.

If wired is not a option maybe try power line adapters to get a wired connection to the other devices
0 Kudos
julie2017
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply 

We have used the TP-LINK AV500 Nano power line adapter starter kit but it still didn't give us good connection a little better but it didn't support 5GHZ only 2.4 GHZ so stopped using them. Is it worth investing in new ones that support 5GHZ we would need 2 one for each room but they can be expensive 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello julie2017

It is so difficult to predict as there are so many external factors with wireless, we have a guide here to explain more Getting the best Wireless Network Signal Generally 5G does not have as much range as 2.4G however it can be faster.

Currently I notice that you have the hub 2.4G wireless mode set to 802.11b/g/n, if you have no old devices using G or N standard it may be worth changing it to 802.11n as this may speed you up a bit. We have a guide to help access the hub Configuring Advanced Settings on your router

Hope that helps

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos