Menu
charlesh
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

HP Printer keeps disconnecting

My PC connects to the Virgin Super hub with an Ethernet cable. My HP printer connects wirelessly to the hub. 

My problem is that ever since I upgraded to the Superhub, the printer disconnects after a few minutes. Turning off the printer and then turning it back on again briefly resolves the problem. The old hub never had this problem.

I have reinstalled the drivers but this had no effect.

My laptop connects wirelessly to printer without any problem.

0 Kudos
GoldenZombie
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: HP Printer keeps disconnecting

Strange that you should say that. I have only had Virgin installed for a couple of weeks, and before that printing via WiFi through my old Netgear router was a breeze. Ever since using the Virgin superhub the HP printer keeps dropping out. Sometimes it prints without a problem, sometimes it takes ages, and sometimes it simply refuses to print without major human intervention (lots of fiddling). It is very frustrating, especially as the printer always shows that it is connected to my network OK. I'll watch this thread with real interest!

0 Kudos
Kelvin01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Same is happening to me - only had the issue since having the new router!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

Thanks for posting though not sure why your HP printers would be suddenly keep disconnecting, frustrating.

It may help to follow some of the wireless troubleshooting steps outlined on the help pages here, changing the wireless channel or dropping the wireless mode for example may help improve stability.

Hope this helps.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
charlesh
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

In my case there is nothing wrong with the wireless coverage. My laptop connects directly to the printer without any problems. It is only an issue with my desktop PC which is connected with an Ethernet cable to the wireless router. With my old virgin router it was fine. It has only been a problem since the router was upgraded.

0 Kudos
GoldenZombie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Same here. The WiFi coverage is fine with my iPhone and 2 iPads everywhere in the house. Printing from the iPads goes smoothly without a hitch from anywhere. The HP printer will not recognise the 5 Ghz network but although it keeps dropping the 2.4 one it does automatically re-connect itself. I can put up with that. My problem is that even when it shows itself to be connected and the printer WiFi blue light is rock steady, printing can still be a nightmare. There is clearly some issue between the SuperHub and the HP printer. At least it is nice to know that I am not suffering this alone. The annoying thing is that when a print job hits a snag, the measure that eventually gets it done differs; sometimes one thing will work and sometimes it won't but something else does. The PC is hardwired to the SuperHub router and I wonder if connecting the printer to the PC by cable would make a difference, but that would involve completely rearranging the furniture in my study which I am loath to do. Prior to switching to Virgin my old set up via WiFi to the printer just worked. Technology can be as annoying as it is helpful can't it?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi both, 

Thanks for coming back and posting about how things have been since you updated the hub. 

This isn't something we're aware of as being a known fault between the printer and hub. As the connection works fine with other devices it's more than likely something to do with the printer that doesn't agree with the hub. 

Have you tried perhaps creating a guest network and using that to connect the printer? Sometimes a lower level of security or a different mode can help so it's worth giving it a try. You can set up a guest network by checking this link out: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=9DE31587-A28B-46BF-A8C5-952CF9401A71

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
charlesh
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have just tried setting up a guest network as suggested with your link but run into a few problems.

I do not have a "Guest Wireless Network (SSID)". The nearest I have is "2.4GHz First Guest Wireless Network." After selecting this I do not have a button "WEP" in the drop down list under security mode. I have all the other ones.

Without WEP, how do I set up the Guest Network.

0 Kudos
realh
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: HP Printer keeps disconnecting - so does Samsung

I've got a similar problem with a Samsung printer. It has ethernet and wifi, I've been using ethernet so far, but just switched to wifi to see if it will solve the problem (I doubt it).

Another symptom is that even when the printer is connected it doesn't show up in the hub's list of connected devices. I reserved an IP address for it in the hub; I had to use the arp command on Linux to get its MAC address so I could do that. It's using the same IP address on wifi as it had on ethernet, so both connections appear to be sharing the same MAC.

I'm inclined to blame the hub, seeing as other Virgin users are having this problem with different printers, while searching for the problem with this printer model gets no results.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: HP Printer keeps disconnecting - so does Samsung

no issues here with a HP Laserjet P1102w. Tested on a Superhub 2 , Superhub 2 AC and The new Hub 3.0. 

The only thing i don't use on the hubs is the firewall. I disabled it.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos