Menu
oioisaveloy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HP Pavillion keeps dropping wired ethernet connection

A few months back my family and i switched over from Sky , we had no problems with sky broadband on the laptop, but as soon as we swicthed to virgin media and picked vivid200 our Laptop drops and loses connection every day ,and it has become so annoying with messages popping up saying no internet connection etc etc, and having to refresh loads or going back on a page,Baring in mind this is on a wired connection , no other devices have problems, just the Laptop, which is only 1yrs old ,i am not that techy but someone has looked at it and has said there is no problem with the laptop or connections, and it must be a virgin media problem somewhere as the laptop never lost connection when it was on sky broadband.

And on a side note we never get 200meg connections that we pay for, we are extremely lucky if we can get a 120meg connection, very very rare though.

Can anyone give advice in simple terms.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: HP Pavillion keeps dropping wired ethernet connection

Hello oioisaveloy,

Welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Great to see new members!

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your connection to your laptop. May I ask what version of Windows your laptop is running please? We might need to look at your network adapters / drivers to ensure the connection is stable.

Please get back to us so we can investigate further.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

oioisaveloy
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, its running windows 10 . i also get messages saying a network change has been detected but dont know what that is either as i have my wireless connection disabled as it is hard wired.

thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello oioisaveloy,

Thanks for a quick reply Smiley Happy

I remember Windows 10 having a few niggling problems. Are you all your Windows updates complete? Also it might be worth trying to do a manual driver update of your Ethernet adapter. Take a look at this link, about half way down the page it explains network adapters in more detail.

Let me know if this helps,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
oioisaveloy
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, i have done the driver updates, all were fine, i have the windows updates, i have flushed my dns, i have renewed my ip i have also changed my wireless channels, and restarted my laptop, and still came up with no internet connection, then internet came on, and 2 minutes later it came up with a network change was detected, never ever had this problem with sky. its so annoying

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello oioisaveloy

I am sorry the problem continues, it does sound like as Heather mentioned that it may be a windows 10 driver compatibility issue. As a matter of interest if you examine the LED next to where the Ethernet lead plugs into the hub is it illuminated orange or green? Orange would indicate a poor negotiation on a modern 1Gbps machine and also point to the drivers or Ethernet lead.

You mentioned earlier slow speeds, area traffic is low so all looking good from here, if you are not already please make sure that you are using www.speedtest.net over a wired connection and leaving the default server as this will normally remain on our network.

By the way I notice that the transmit power levels from the hub are too high, this may cause you some intermittent problems with the connection so best we let an engineer take a look please.

I will send you a forum private message to arrange an appointment.

Thank you  

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
oioisaveloy
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola, thanks, i will look i messages now

0 Kudos