Menu
tylluan
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HP Laptop won't connect

HP Laptop won't connect to the Virgin wifi. It connects to other wifi networks and used to be fine with Virgin up until a few weeks ago. I changed the security settings and it was fine, but now its back to not connecting. Sometimes it connects for a few seconds but then disconnects.
0 Kudos
Ridzizen2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: HP Laptop won't connect

try to reset your virgin media router. To reset the router on the back side of router try to find a tiny hole with "reset" written on it. find photo attached. image.jpg

now you need to press that hole with a sharp object like pin or toothpick for 20 seconds nd then wait for 20 seconds. once done then go back to your laptop nd try connecting it again using wifi name and password given on the router (passphrase) on the sticker. Still if wont connect. Take help from TSC support on Virgin contact us or dial 150 from your Virgin landline.

- I work for Virgin Media, but opinions are my own.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tylluan
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Still not working. I've tried calling Virgin for help but I don't have an account number so can't get through
0 Kudos
Ridzizen2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can call VM and give them your post code and house number and you will get through. To check out your account number you can login to "My Virgin Media" by going on this link

www.virginmedia.com

click on Sign in on the top right side and then click on my Virgin media.

The username will be your email address and password will be your email password.

You can call directly to us on 0345451111

- I work for Virgin Media, but opinions are my own.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can you connect other devices to the hub?

What OS are you using?

What encryption are you using?

I would check the adapter's drivers are up to date according to the adapter's manufacturer's website. It might be worth disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter.

I doubt very much that first line support  will be able to help with this as they will see it as a third party hardware problem. assuming you can connect with other devices.

0 Kudos
tylluan
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I can connect with other devices, yes

It happens every few days, like it will be fine for a bit then go back to refusing to connect

I called HP a few months ago and they guided me on how to change the encryption settings and it worked for about two weeks. I called them again and they advised me that it was a problem with the wifi itself and not my laptop
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tylluan,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your HP laptop. As other devices aren't having this trouble I would assume this to be an issue with the laptop itself. Does the laptop have it's own wireless program or does it use Windows in built wireless connector? 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
tylluan
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's not a problem with my laptop as my laptop connects to other wifi fine
0 Kudos
Debbied30
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I've posted a item about this as well, am getting really bloody frustrated TBH. I bought my son a HP laptop at Xmas, he's barely used it as it just doesn't connect with my Virgin superhub 2, unlike every other gadget in this house!

Come on Virgin what is the matter, this router is rubbish, am getting drop outs all over the house & now this, am fed up to the back teeth of paying nearly £90 a month for all this junk & don't get me on the Tivo box, a bloody tortoise is faster than that Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Debbied30,

Apologies for your laptop/WiFi issues. My tests of your connection reveal low modem & channel SNR (signal to noise ratio) along with forward error corrections on the upstream segment.

This will cause disconnections and poor broadband performance in general and will therefore affect your laptop's connection. Whether or not this is the sole cause of your reported issue remains to be seen. I have escalated the issue to networks and shall let you know the fault reference as soon as I have it, and I'll provide updates. Once that fault is fixed, if your laptop issues remain, I'll then look at this again for you.

Bye for now,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos