Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9 (159 Views)

Guest Network Speed

There have been previous posts on this topic e.g.:http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slower-Guest-Network-Speed-than-Normal-Netwo... but I would like to get an update.

I have a Virgin Superb 2ac. I have done tests: same network, same location, only one device on the network and the speed obtained on the guest network is significantly lower than on the main network 20/30 MB on guest network vs approx 100 MB on main network.

I have spoken to VirginMedia support. One person told me categorically that there should be no difference, another that the guest network is deliberately throttled with a maximum of 50 MB.

I would be grateful for any information on this topic:

1) What is the correct answer??

2) If the guest network is throttled on the 2ac Superb is it the same on the Superb 3??

3) Is there any way to remove the throttling on the guest network??

4) Why do Virgin Media do this??

This throttling of the guest network does not seem to be present on normal commercial routers?? So I could buy a new router and put superb in modem mode but this seems like a waste of money!! Again why do Virgin Media do this??

Many thanks for any help.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9 (119 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by dogleg
Friday

Re: Guest Network Speed

Yes, I'd say you are correct. On the Hub 3.0 there did not appear to be any difference in speeds I get on the guest and main networks.

If you are content I've helped, please give me kudos and mark as helpful Smiley Happy

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9 (133 Views)

I've just checked on my Hub 3.0 and it doesn't appear that the speed is throttled. Assume is the same on the 2ac but noticed that the same guest network SSID is broadcast for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks so depends which band the device connects to. Did a couple of tests, when on the 2.4GHz got a download speed on ~70Mbps (which seems to be the an average for, at least, my Hub 3 and got a max of ~90Mbps on my non-guest 2.4GHz. When on the 5GHz guest network band got a speed test result of ~120Mbps.
Didn't try repeating the tests a lot, but would suggest that speeds are not throttled to 50Mbps on Hub 3.

Not sure of the extent of your testing, but could it be a result of connecting on a different band on the guest network to the main if they aren't named seperately?

Afraid I never tried the guest network on the SH2 (non ac) I've just swapped out.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 9 (117 Views)

Jonathanm - thanks for your helpful post.

All my networks have different SSID's so I know that all my comparisons are like for like - 2.4 GHz vs 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz vs 5 GHz, same distance from router, only one device on network etc etc.

Could I please clarify some of the information in your post, viz:

1) Were all your tests were on Superhub 3??

2) What is your VM purchased internet speed (I am on 100 Mbps package)??

3) Are the speeds of 70Mbps on 2.4 GHz network and 120 Mbps on 5 GHZ network both on Superhub's guest network??

4) For tests in (3) above how far were you from the router??

5) For your main network (i.e. non guest) you report speed of 90Mbps on 2.4 GHz network - what was the speed on 5 GHz main network??

Many thanks for your help.

Anyone else with thoughts??

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9 (100 Views)

No problems, answer to your follow up questions:

1) Yes, all on the Hub 3.

2) Got VIVID 200.

3) Yes, the 70Mbps and 120Mbps were both on the guest network.

4) I was in the same room, few metres away.

5) As with any of the speed tests I've found that speeds vary based on time of day and location in my house, but I've managed to get 220Mbps peak, but more often than not near the advertised speed of my package. I think the 2.4GHz peak speed is a result of the hub to device only having a 130Mbps wireless n connection.

I have to confess I was mainly doing a quick check that the speed would get over 50Mbps so when the speedtest went over that I didn't do any other tests to see if I could get my package speed. I would be more inclined to think that my tablet had a bit of a flip flop with 2.4 and 5GHz using the same SSID on the guest network (couldn't separate them to different names on the H3) or something else happening at that time in Windows rather than it being throttled by the Hub.

Hope that helps. I'll perhaps try enabling the guest network and get back with the 5GHz speed again if I get the change to see if I can get closer to my package speed.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9 (91 Views)

Just done some more tests on 5GHz main and guest networks. Couple showed really slow speeds, but I'm pretty sure that's a red herring as for convenience using my phone and I know it has some wireless ac issues.
But can confirm that on my 5GHz guest network I achieved 220Mbps (& on main too).
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 9 (75 Views)

Jonathanm - again thanks for your very helpful posts.

Would it be a fair conclusion from your tests that with your Superhub 3 there is no difference between the speeds achieved when comparing the main network to a guest network (provided the comparisons are like for like i.e. 2.4 GHz vs 2.4 GHz and 5GHz vs 5 GHZ)??

And that there does not seem to be any limits to the speeds achieved on the guest networks when compared to the main networks??

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9 (120 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by dogleg
Friday

Yes, I'd say you are correct. On the Hub 3.0 there did not appear to be any difference in speeds I get on the guest and main networks.

If you are content I've helped, please give me kudos and mark as helpful Smiley Happy

Joining in
Message 8 of 9 (36 Views)

Jonathanm - a couple of follow up questions.

You said that on your Superhub 3 the SSID's are the same for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks yet you quote different speeds for the 2 networks.

If the SSID's are the same how do you know whether you are connected to the 2.4 GHz network or the 5 GHz network??

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9 (29 Views)

[ Edited ]

On the guest network they are (they can be independently named on the main). However, to determine on the guest network I just checked the connection properties to see what protocol, band and channel it had connected on. In Windows 10, go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> WiFi and the click on the network you are connected to, it will give you details of the network, including the band. I imagine there are similar details in earlier version of Windows and on Android, etc. Also if you have a WiFi scanning app running they typically give details of the network you are connected to.

I guess it was a bit pot luck which band the device preferred, but I checked this when doing the tests.

0 Kudos