Menu
AlexC2
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Google Wifi with Superhub 3.0 - Has anyone set one up?

Hi all,

I am contemplating the Google WiFi as a possible option for speeding up my smart devices (LIFX, Harmony Elite, Alexa, Smartthings etc) and the way they connect with each other and with their controllers (phone apps / remote).

For instance, It takes a few seconds to update all my bulbs when I open my app, which sort of makes it slower than using a physical switch. Would be nice if this was brought down to 2 seconds max. Another example is walking halfway through a dark corridor before the night light comes on because the Smartthing's hub takes a long time to communicate with the LIFX bulb.

Call me naif and hopeful, but maybe Google WiFi will do a better job as a router than the superhub, especially with WiFi connections.

I love the speeds Virgin internet gives me in my area but I understand I am stuck with whatever router they decide to give us.

So the questions are:

1. Has anyone successfully used the Superhub as a modem with the Google Wifi bolted on to act as the router? 

2. If yes, has anyone used a switch to cater for the Google WiFi's lack of ethernet ports so as to hook up TV, consoles and anything else they'd rather have hardwired?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
GDW59
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google Wifi with Superhub 3.0 - Has anyone set one up?

I am interested in this too although for slightly different reasons. My Hub is currently not in the best location because its limited to where the cable was run. the signal is okay in most area's but I have had to put a lot of extenders (Solwise  wired and WiFI Plugs and even a BT router running as a Bridge), on it. I also don't like the customization of the Hub 3 - the Hub 2 in this respect was much better. 

From what I've read it shouldn't be an issue:

1) Switch the hub into modem mode.

2) Connect to the primary Google WiFI (GWF) WAN port.

3) Configure your Google WiFi

4) Connect a Switch (rather than a hub) to the LAN port - I'm going to use the primary GWF as that's where my cables run to. Reconnect physical cables.

5) On subsequent GWF hubs I may use the LAN port too - although that will be an Ethernet connection running over WiFi as the two GWF's won't be physically connected. 

It should work okay and from what I read the GWF WAP's produce a really strong signal so am hoping for only a couple, but of course I can add more if needed.

The other question I have is whether using the Guest option uses one of the channels as it does with the Hub 3. Can't seem to find the answer to that....

0 Kudos
paulandjouk
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I attempted to set up Google wifi today. Set superhub 3.0 to modem mode and after 50 mins on phone to Google in California (call back thankfully), no joy. Returned superhub to router mode and set everything up 1st time no problems. No idea what happened as it's beyond my technical knowledge but now have 2 networks at home but the google wifif mesh network DOES seem to deliver on it's promise and give very good coverage. We have 2 units in a large 4 story house.

If anyone can shed any light on what the issue was in Modem mode I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Have you thought about Ubiquiti Networks Wireless Access Point these are mesh networked devices like google wifi but in my opinion much better but dont include any of the routing features its just a access point

http://amzn.to/2oy4aiW

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

ALEXC2,

could be this week's winning entry for how many £1000s do you need to spend on technology to turn on a light bulb Smiley Happy

I think I will stick with walking to the switch, good exercise, that.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@paulandjouk

You did remember to power the hub down and back up after switching to modem mode and connecting the main Google Wifi point

Most people don't realise that the modem locks in the Mac address of the device that's connected to it.  If you simply change the connected device without powering the modem down, it won't accept the new Mac address.

It caught me out back in the old days when we had separate modems and I bought a new router.  But it's still just as valid today.

Tim

PS - and yes I know it's the age old IT advice - "Did you turn it off and on again ROFL"

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
paulandjouk
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim, yeah EVERYTHING was powered on & off multiple times on the instruction of the very patient Google employee, just absolutely no joy in modem mode
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

And you are connecting the ethernet cable to port 1 of the hub?  That's the only port that works in modem mode.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Al my hub 3 ports work in modem mode (one at a time).

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
GDW59
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've already invested in teh Google WiFi so a bit late now. I'm happy with the set-up and the admin is excellent. thanks for the suggestion though.
0 Kudos