Menu
user_101123
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Getting really irregular pings and occasional packet loss

Hi there,

My TBB monitor (bit.do/virginping) indicates that I'm getting occasional packet loss and also very variable pings.

The average ping is mostly around 20-22ms (normal) but the maximum ping within each 100-second period is often 100-120ms.

VoIP calls, WhatsApp, Skype, and gaming are all proving difficult, they lag or just disconnect suddenly. This is both via WiFi and Ethernet, with and without switches etc. I've tried rebooting the router - no improvement.

An engineer visited this morning around 8, and tightened a few coax connections, but nothing seems to have improved (the average ping is higher if anything).

I was directed here by Level 2 support, who say they can't see anything on their side, they say area utilisation is fine and my usage is very low.

Is there anything anyone can do to help?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting really irregular pings and occasional packet loss

Hi user_101123, 

Thanks for letting us know about your issues with your broadband having irregular pings and occasional packet loss, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, no errors or timeouts inside the Hubs logs and all of the power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, how are you connected, wired or wireless?

When do you notice these issues, all times of day or just specific times?

Do these issues occur across all devices?

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

user_101123
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

The issues are happening both on devices connected by wire (Ethernet) and wireless (WiFi).

All devices connected to the network are experiencing the problem.

The problem seems to happen at all times of day. A few days ago it was slightly worse at peak times, but now it's the same at all times of day.

I think the graph (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/3abc20eee9786e42da45eb74e07c69c8.png) is the best illustration of the problem - this is a ThinkBroadband BQM test, so it pings the Hub 3.0 itself from the server every second.

I'm suspecting that this may be down to a fault in Virgin's local equipment, eg with the dark green cabinet at the top of the street. That would explain why it's not appearing elsewhere.

A Senior Engineer is currently booked to come over on Thursday, but I don't know how much they'll be able to achieve if it turns out that there really is a problem with your local equipment.

Can you check if the usage in the area is within the maximum capacity of your network? That would also explain this.

Thanks for your help in any case.

user_101123
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello user_101123

Area traffic is low by the way so it does not look to be that, area upstreams seem to be performing okay. I wonder if it may be linked to this issue HUB 3 'upgrade' has drastically increased latency - and gives odd speed test results.

Good luck with the engineer visit, please let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
user_101123
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola,

An area manager is coming next Monday (3rd April) and should be able to tell if the problem is on my side (the cable to the cabinet/node, Hub 3.0 issue) or on yours.

If this issue can't be resolved, what are my options?

Thanks,

user_101123

0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looks "normal" for a puma 6 based modem on the current intel SDK. This is a known issue with the chipset and the current software implementation.

Most people would kill for your peak time graph - not that it's of any comfort to you!

Sit, wait until/if arris/virgin push a fixed firmware based off the intel fixes.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

fizzyade wrote:
Looks "normal" for a puma 6 based modem on the current intel SDK. This is a known issue with the chipset and the current software implementation.

Most people would kill for your peak time graph - not that it's of any comfort to you!

Sit, wait until/if arris/virgin push a fixed firmware based off the intel fixes.

Indeed some of us have been Trialling Hub 3(aka SH3) over various firmware/versions since late Sept 2015 and the ICMP max latency on 16D/S channels (typically when provisioned via Arris e6k CCAP/CMTS) has been duly noted to VM CPE Firmware team more than a year ago!.

However since SH3/Hub3/VMDG505/(Arris TG2492) Hub is a parent LG "Hub" for several LG subsidiary ISP's (inc VM) then it's taken a year before Intel, then Arris have progressed a base firmware fix and now potentially further delay to roll out various ISP overlays.

While some of us Triallists can actually concurrently run both SH3 and SH2AC(or older legacy Hubs) on same cable segment (and also with SamKnows monitoring on each) then the OP's TBB/BQM is certainly fairly impressive for 16,20 or even 24 D/S bonded channels by comparison to others?

To illustrate I include TBB/BQM Live link and todays "snapshots" for comparison against my SH3(20D/S x2U/S bonding) via Arris E6k provisioned V200Gamer Tier v SH2AC (8D/S x 2 U/S bonded)  same cable segment Arris E6k provisioned V200Tier.

OP Live/snapshot =  

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/3abc20eee9786e42da45eb74e07c69c8.png

Screenshot 2017-03-26 12.03.18.png

Hove BN3 cable segment SH3 Live/snapshot =

My Broadband Ping - brig19-220/20-bn37n_SH3RM

Screenshot 2017-03-26 11.52.39.png

Hove BN3 SH2AC Live/snapshot = 

My Broadband Ping - brig19-V200/BN37N-SH2ACRM

Screenshot 2017-03-26 11.53.15.png

Blue spikes correspond to SK Monitoring but posting SK results (particularly UDP latency/packet loss) in detail would be somewhat meaningless unless OP has the equivalent monitoring for comparison along with his own Tier/CMTS/Channel plan comparison across his own cable segment. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
user_101123
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tony,

Thanks a lot for your insight. I don't have SK, but I can definitely tell from my own diagnostics that the router or Virgin's network are playing up.

I had no idea that Virgin Media and its parent company was shipping such a poor product with a known inherent defect. Had I known, I wouldn't have gone for VM!

Really, I feel it's not quite right for VM to be continuing to subscribe unknowing people when they are giving them crap modems.

Is there any way I can get a 2AC fitted until the fix comes out? Or can I leave?

Thanks,

user_101123

0 Kudos