Menu
The_IMF
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Getting a Super Hub 3.0 - shall I stick it in modem mode like my previous hubs?

Hi all,

I've been out of contract for a while and thought I'd finally take the plunge for the v6 and the SH3 as they've been out a few months now so some teething issues would hopefully have been resolved.

I've had SH1 and SH2 and am currently on the 200mb package. The issue I had with SH1 and 2 were that both had incredibly poor wifi reception in that it would work fine in my living room but none of the bedrooms apart from the one directly above the living room would get a stable wifi signal.

I remedied this by purchasing other wireless routers to take car of the wifi instead and putting the SH's into modem mode. My current wireless router is the TP Link Archer C9 AC1900 which gives me good wifi signal throughout the whole house.

Before I purchased the TP Link Archer C9 a few months back, my previous wireless router started playing up on me so I tried the SH2 again and I found that it doesn't even work well with Amazon Echo (constant connection dropping when connected to a bluetooth speaker despite the Echo being less than 1m away from the hub!).

Should I expect the same poor performance from SH3 and stick to my current setup and put the SH3 in modem mode or have the issues been resolved in this version?

Would love to get feedback from those that have upgraded from previous SH.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting a Super Hub 3.0 - shall I stick it in modem mode like my previous hubs?

Stick to modem mode and your own router. Whist HUB3 performs better than previous models in some respects, it still has firmware issues.

The V6 on the other hand, you'll love if you are used to old stylee TiVo

The_IMF
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting a Super Hub 3.0 - shall I stick it in modem mode like my previous hubs?

Firmware issues? That's worrying! Do the firmware issues affect the router in modem mode?

I guess at least I won't have to set up my dhcp reservations and port forwarding all over again at least 👍

I am looking forward to the V6. I think 6 years on the old TiVo is enough suffering when the past 4 years the TiVo has been running like a slug, forgotten what it was like to not have a 1-3 second lag with every button press.
0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Congrats on the archer c9 I have one too.. soon as the hub is active stick it in modem mode 

0 Kudos
The_IMF
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I love the Archer C9. But I'm never sure if it's as amazing as I think it is or if I only think it's amazing because it's so good compared to the Super Hub 2! Smiley Very Happy

Sounds like modem mode will be my choice then!
0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

it's fast as hell did have a issue on Speedtest but fixed that by setting lan to full 1gb on the router which is default auto
It kicks my superhub 2ac all over until the hub plays up Smiley Sad let me know how it goes on hub 3 please might upgrade
0 Kudos
The_IMF
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Will do

I've never changed lan settings on mine, still set to auto. Might be that my Archer has 4 cables attached to it all going to gigabit switches.

1 to the SH,
1 to an 8 port gigabit switch in my living room (5 devices attached - TV, Bluray, Hue, LightwaveRF, Android TV),
1 long Cat6e to an 8 port gigabit switch in my study/games room (8 devices attached - Xbox One, PS4, XBox 360, PS3, Server, Work Laptop, TV, Bluray), and
1 long Cat6e to a 5 port gigabit switch in my loft which has my CCTV/NVR all connected. Used to have a wifi access point here too but using Archer meant I could disconnect that.

No idea how I've ended up with so many products that need ethernet (probably because I had no confidence in wifi after Super Hub) but I've had no connection/speed issues. I work from home so made the investment of getting ethernet put in.

Just did an internet speed test from server in my study and got 220Mbps down and 12.29Mbps up with 10ms ping.

Wifi only gets used by Fire Stick, tablets, personal laptops and mobiles.

I'll do some wifi speed tests with Archer, SH2 and SH3 when it arrives and post results here.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you game at all? I would if you are already using your own router (which is a must to be honest) stick with your super hub 2, its already doing a great job of your connection and you will avoid the Hub 3 lag issues until they fix them (which could be a great while), I will demonstrate below (ignore the little spike I imagine this was an internal issue which they have resolved as both plotter are on 2 modems in completely different areas (40 miles away from my hub2AC Smiley Tongue)

IMG_0001.PNGIMG_0002.PNG

0 Kudos
The_IMF
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have all the consoles but I'd still call myself a casual gamer or a loner gamer if you will.

I mainly use my Internet for work which involves a lot of Skype video calls, voip calls through my laptop, and several hours of webex sessions a week.

Do you know if the engineer who's coming will leave the HUB 3 for me to try at a later stage or will he have to leave me with just one of the hubs? I know the HUB 3 has more downstream channels which is the only thing that got me interested in it!
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I doubt he would leave you a Hub 3 but you could ask, the only problem you will have is they will always say that there is nothing wrong with the hub 3 and everything has been fixed, they did with my mother and you can see from the results this isn't true!, however she doesn't do any online gaming and just visits websites and streams videos and thing occasionally so she never even notices the flaws in the lag issue, however being as you have so many consoles and do occasionally play games, you just might, now being as the Hub2 is more then capable of supplying your connection, and secondly you use your own router anyway which would avoid any limitations, I highly suggest you keep the hub 2, if it fails or you ever decided to upgrade to a faster service they would send you the new Hub anyway, so I really would stick with what you got!
0 Kudos